Tunze 6025 Mod, WOW!!!!!!!!!!

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I recently bought a used 6025 from a member, and almost didn't purchase it because I thought it'd be a lateral move from my Koralia 2 that I'm now using (out put from both are appr. 600gph). The seller told me of the mod that could double the out put of the 6025, and being the seller was so reputable</em>, I went ahead and purchased the 6025. I was skeptical that the mod would change the out put by as much as the claim, but decided to try it anyway.

Before starting the mod, I ran water in my sink, just enough to cover the Tunze with the output pointed up. I plugged it in and water shot up about one inch off the surface. This didn't seem very impressive to me, and didn't seem like a lot of circulation in my small sink, let alone what it would be in my tank.

The mod consists of taking off the cover to the 6025 and cutting away the circular tube that directs water out of the pump. I do not have the optimum tool to do this, which would be a Drimel with the saw blade attachment, so I used my Makita Screw Gun, with a circular wood wrasp attachment (even though I was working on plastic). I've cut away more than half of the circular "hood" area that forms the directional out put tube. After getting it half-way finished, my battery died in the Makita and I'm waiting for it to recharge to finish the job.

While waiting for the battery to recharge, I thought I'd retest the 6025 for any progress. I fitted the cover back onto the pump, and placed it in the sink in the same position (with out put directed up and level with the water surface). I plugged the pump in and water shot up about 5 inches.

This is a huge improvement over the first test with only one inch head, and I will post later if anymore improvement is achieved when the mod is completely finished.

I know this is highly unscientific, as my mod lacks any hard numbers on the improved gph to back it up, but seems to have excellent results.

In retrospect, I wish I'd taken pictures of the process and results of testing before and after the mod, but can tell you I highly recommend it.

Will post more if the finished mod changes the outcome thus far in any significant way......

Thanks

I finished the mod, and although the colume of water became a little wider, the actual hieght of the head decreased slightly. i believe this to be because I completely removed the out put tube. If I'd have left the tube intact just around the edges, by a quarter inch or so, the water flow would have been directed better, but because the entire tube was removed, water also flows out of the side vents slightly. Overall, this is a great mod!

I was sold on Koralia before I tried this, but now I have to say that the smaller profile of the Tunze Plus the added output with the mod makes me very glad I bought the Tunze.

Ha! I like the karma points Jin...very nice. +Karma from me too. Nice write up. do you have any pics?

I want to add some flow at the 5ft mark of my tank and considered the tunze nano. Now it sounds a little more promising.

No, unfortunately, at the time I didn't think it was a photo worthy</em> endeavor. In retrospect, I wish I had tanken photos!

I just replaced the Koralia 2 that was in my tank with the moded Tunze 6025. I currently have i 36" long 30 gallon tank. The Tunze preforms visibly better, as I'm thinking my Kenya Tree is taking a beating from the Tunze from 2 feet away. The Tunze stirred up crap from the bottom the Koralia had let settle. Perhaps this is a slightly unfair comparison, as Koralias are designed for a diffused</em> flow where as Tunze seem designed for a more focused flow. I'm not hating on the Koralia, as its a great pump, I'm just very impressed with Tunze.

Dakota9;80023 wrote: I just replaced the Koralia 2 that was in my tank with the moded Tunze 6025. I currently have i 36" long 30 gallon tank. The Tunze preforms visibly better, as I'm thinking my Kenya Tree is taking a beating from the Tunze from 2 feet away. The Tunze stirred up crap from the bottom the Koralia had let settle. Perhaps this is a slightly unfair comparison, as Koralias are designed for a diffused</em> flow where as Tunze seem designed for a more focused flow. I'm not hating on the Koralia, as its a great pump, I'm just very impressed with Tunze.

Now sell me that Koralia 2.

.... I took it out to clean it up for another member who is buying it at the meeting. A+ to you for trying to get the scoop though!

Back