Tunze auto top off vs. autotopoff.com switches & maxspect gyre vs. mps vs. tunze

kodock

Supporting
Reaction score
Upgrading and wanted some opinions on best auto top off systems and best powerheads for the money.

I personally like the Gyre and had for several years.  I like the undertow it creates in the tank.   But, they are difficult to clean the first few times until you get use to the parts.  I also have a Jaebo Crossflow which is noisy in comparison to the Gyre.  I cant really give you an opinion on the Tunze and Mp's.

Ok so here is my take on the question posed.

As far as ATO goes I've had the 2 Tunze ATOs since I started the hobby. I had one, moved, sold stuff, then bought another with the new system because they work. period.

As far as powerbeads go I have had MANY Vortechs as well as the Gyre and Tunze pumps. In my humble opinion the least of these is the gyre. to be honest I've never liked my gyre and right now it is laying on the floor beside my tank because it just doesn't do what I want it to do. The tuze pumps are time tested and can be VERY powerful but they are big and costly.  That brings me to the Vortech pumps. IMO these are what you want if you'll be in it for the long term. They don't last forever and components do wear out, but Customer support is always great at EcoTech Marine. They are costly, but they move a LOT of water, have a lot of options for flow, and now with the QD systems they are just great. Again just my opinion, but Id say the EcoTech and the Tunze ATO takes the cake here.

This is great info, thanks! I heard that mp's are loud or get loud from bearing issues allegedly. Does ecotech cover and issues?

Brandon is absolutely correct and he is an expert in every aspect of reefing.  So I wouod definately listen to his recommendations!    But, you pay for the quality.  Im always on a tight budget and try to get the best bang for my buck.  Its probably not the best idea long term to have this philosophy. But it is what it is.  :)

the MP40s USE to be loud. Those who have QD models don't know what loud is haha. The QDs are MUCH quieter. Silent? No, but I think they are about as quiet as a motor outside the tank is going to be. I don't know of anything that is really like it.

Another MUCH cheaper option is this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XRDWKNC/ref=asc_df_B00XRDWKNC5347545/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00XRDWKNC&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241981090934&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9632962110922710976&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010853&hvtargid=pla-470163845717

These are actually "pretty good" pumps, but compared to the Ecotechs... they are just meh. That said I do currently have two of them... that I'm trying to upgrade to the Ecotechs haha.

As far as Ecotech CS goes I have ALWAYS had good luck with them. A+ in my experience.

Hey Bcavalli, you ain't talking about me ha. I'm just around making mistakes like everyone else. Now, if we COMBINE all the Brandons of the club, we may have something.

I've only had gyre pumps in my 210 gallon, and I have been happy with them, but I have nothing to compare them to so take that with a grain of salt. Brett is right they are kind of a pain to clean so that combined with my laziness means they don't get cleaned as often as they should. Also both of mine dies after about 6 months within a couple of weeks of each other, but maxspect sent out new motors very quickly and I've had no problems since then. As far as ATO I started with the smart ATO and it worked great, and the only reason I don't use it anymore is because I got the Apex ATK when that came out.

I've been using vortechs in two separated tanks, they been great to me but I don't have a range to compare them, even so, I'd tell you they're rated high among the best.

There's always in each hobby that happens often, you've many to choose from, and you can depending on your budget, and honestly I'm not a big fan of the jebaos for example, or Korallias, you'll be replacing them often. I've known Tunzes are great but I honestly don't like that they're bulky. The Neptune brand become on the game and haven't heard none that are disliking them, to me, they remained as others, big motors, unattractive, eyesore, yeah, they might have great flow, I wouldn't expect less because of size, but again, I'm trying to get a clean look.
I remember when the Gyre came into the game. It remind me the old Rio with similar pattern and flow, I'm still to try one of them, specially for the amount of water they can move and the flow pattern they're designed to do.

Tunze osmolator is the best topoff in the market. I've been using them for so long I'm afraid to even count the years!

Tunze and ETM are leaps and bounds better quality that the chinese stuff. I use both of these as they serve different purposes/applications.

You can't get a great product with great support for cheap.

Back