Tunze optical sensor issue

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
For about a week now I've noticed that my tunze ATO is not reading the water level properly. I thought it was a dirty sensor so I cleaned it a couple of times but it keeps happening. If I pull the sensor completely out of the sump then it triggers and recognizes the water level is low immediately. But, when I have it in the sump it will come on some of the time, but not like it should. Ideas?

One of the things I really, really like about Tunze products is their customer service. The main guy here in the U.S. is Roger Vitko and I would start by reaching out to him. I've sent you his email in a DM. Every time I've reached out, he's responded. He even took care of an out-of-warranty ATO for me and it only cost me the shipping. He's been able to talk me through issues I've had over the years.

I did some vinegar last night but I don't think I did it for long enough. Going to let it soak for an hour tonight

I did some vinegar last night but I don't think I did it for long enough. Going to let it soak for an hour tonight
I would highly recommend citric acid with plastics. Gets the job done and doesn't cloud clear plastic nor make any plastics brittle. For me, I only use vinegar on glass. Things like a glass tank, glass heaters and UV quartz sleeves.

I always thought the acid would be more of an issue. I've got that as well though

Vinegar (dilute acetic acid, approx. 5%) might be incompatible with acetate based adhesives such as polyvinylacetate (often abbreviated PVA) or poly acetate polymers.

Most plastics, including acrylics (aka, polymethylmethacrylate) and polycarbonate should be fine using vinegar. These are two of the most commonly used polymers we find around aquariums.

Exceptions include Vortex wet sides, which should be cleaned with citric acid solution. It may be advisable to clean other power heads and pumps in citric acid as well, to be sure/careful.

If in doubt, and/or you suspect phosphate deposits, use a 5-10% citric acid solution by weight.

For example:
5 grams citric acid + 95 grams DI water =
5% citric acid solution.

Always slowly add acids to the water (not the other way around) & stir continuously while diluting, preferably using a plastic spoon or spatula and glass or plastic container.

Back