tunze problems

sagent3000

Market
Reaction score
i have a tunze on a single controller and it is making a screaming sound. it started yesterday so i took it apart and cleaned it then i put it back in a few minutes ago and it is still making that sound. what should i do?

Is the screaming sound coming from the controller? If so, it's likely that the impeller can't move, and it's letting you know. Take the controller apart and soak it in vinegar overnight - typically, it's calcium buildup that causes tunzes to do that.

Oops! Taking the controller apart and soaking it in vinegar would lead to more screaming... :) Yes, take the powerhead apart...

mojo;270070 wrote: Oops! Taking the controller apart and soaking it in vinegar would lead to more screaming... :) Yes, take the powerhead apart...

i did that last night and it is still screaming

Email Roger Vitko. He'll take care of you. Best Customer Service on the planet.
Dave

did you completely dismantle everything and soak it? Simply taking out the impeller and soaking is sometimes not enough. You have to take it all apart and soak the pwoerhead and the impeller parts.

I usually also use a q-tip too for extra cleaning-usually lasts me a couple of years this way.

Skriz;270229 wrote: did you completely dismantle everything and soak it? Simply taking out the impeller and soaking is sometimes not enough. You have to take it all apart and soak the pwoerhead and the impeller parts.

I usually also use a q-tip too for extra cleaning-usually lasts me a couple of years this way.

i have done all of that and it is still screaming

i have sat it in a batch of vineger again and this time i can get the propeller to spin but i have to "kick start" it and it will only spin for a few seconds. it will not spin underwater either. any suggestions???

The prop not spinning is the cause of the "screaming" from the controller. The only normal thing that would cause this would be calcium buildup. You said that you soaked it in vinegar- maybe the vinegar isn't strong enough for the buildup you have on the pump.

If it were me, I'd try a 3:1 solution of muriatic acid for ~20-30 mins. If it's calcium, that'll take care of it. If not, then you can rest assured it's not calcium buildup.

i have cleaned it and there is no calcium left on it at all. the propeller will turn out of water only after i give it a kick start. but once it goes into water it will not turn not even after i give it a kick start.

i called tunze friday but he has not called back yet. i will be calling him again tomorrow

Back