Tunze Protein Skimmer ???

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a - Tunze DOC Protein Skimmer 9010. I have a 90g with a 30g sump and fuge. Currently i am using a coralife ss65. The reason I am looking at the tunze skimmer is because my sump will only fit a skimmer that has a height of 21" or less. I have looked at others but their hieght is to high for my sump. Let me know about this tunze skimmer if you know anything about it. Or if you know of a skimmer that is less than 21" high.

Thanks,
Chris

I have had it for 2 years now, I was one of the first to get them. It is a nice easy to setup skimmer, I have been happy with it so far.

does it have a built in pump ? Or do you have to buy one seperate ?

It comes with a pump, I forgot what they call it, it is a venturi pump, It comes with intank and insump attachments, air control valve to go from wet to dry, and a ozone hookup opening for a 1/4" airline tube. It is a pretty simple skimmer with nothing much to adjust other than the air valve, and does a good job, extremly quiet and low power consumption.

ChrisJet, I have have the exact system as you do. 90g tank, 30g sump with the Tunze skimmer 9010. Works well. I have been pleased. My tunze is in the middle of the sump. The reason I got the Tunze is it's configuration is small and powerful.

They have new ones coming that are supposed to be extremely good competitive with the best out there, but I think the price is going up.

I didn't think they were changing the DOC skimmers, I know they have come out with the master doc skimmers with needle wheels, but those are huge... the smallest one is like 18" in diameter.... The cylinder is like 12"... and will be way too big for a 90.

Not sure what the plan is with the existing line just know they have some apparently excellent skimmers coming around the corner. Didn't realize they were that big though. I just keep hearing about them and Hydors.

Back