Tunze vs. MaxiJet mod...

joefreelance

Reaction score
Hey all,

So here's my deal... I had an experienced reefer come over to look at my tank and give his thoughts to me, and his immediate concern was extreme lack of water movement. He told me that I really needed to invest in two tunzes or nanostreams at opposite ends of the tank to get the water movin' and groovin. That's all well and good, but I can't afford the $500-$800 that they will cost.

So I remembered the whole maxijet mod debate on the boards and how it was supposed to be the cheap-skate's tunze...

Any thoughts on that? I have several 1200's laying around, and I found the kits here:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~maxi-jet~action~view~idProduct~AF1551~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Algae_Free_Sure_Flow_1600_Maxi_Jet_Upgrade_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Powerheads_Accessories~vendor~.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~maxi-jet~action~view~idProduct~AF1551~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Algae_Free_Sure_Flow_1600_Maxi_Jet_Upgrade_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Powerheads_Accessories~vendor~.html</a>

and here:

[IMG]http://www.twopartsolution.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=379">http://www.twopartsolution.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=379</a> for under $20...

Think these will work? Any thoughts/experiences with them? I know that we've discussed them on this board before, but I don't think that we ever had a resolution of if they were cool, or if they were lame.

Joe

They work well and will give you a lot of flow. HOWEVER, won't get the varying flow that you would with the tunze's.

I have the Eco Systems ECO Maxi Jet Mod still in the box if your interested. $18

I have used several versions of the Mod'd MJ12s and for the cost and flow they are well worth it. You can get varying results with flow depending on placement of the MJ's. Directed toward each other will give you great randum flow. Directed opposite directions will give some circler movement. I have 2 of the ECO mod's now if you'd like to come over and see how well they work, let me know.

What's the difference between the two versions of commercial kits out there?

1) Algae Free Sure Flow - comes with bracket
2) Eco Systems ECO - doesn't come with a bracket

I plan on getting a magnet-holder-thingy to attach it to the side of the tank.

It depends on how you want to mount the Mod'd MJs. I bought the ECO mounts. They work perfectly for my corner installation. The AFSF Mod kit lokos pretty nice since it includes the mount(use with suction cups). They both probably push about the same amount of water and are great deals.

Any thoughts on the Koralias?

---------------------------------------

Maxijet 1200's -- FREE (already have 'em)
Maxijet Mod Kit -- $20
Magnet Kit -- $25
TOTAL: -- Around $50

or

Koralia 4 -- Around $50.

Hmmm...

The Koralia says it's like 1200 gph, I've seen it advertised that the MJmod goes up to 1600gph. Any thoughts out there?

i think the koralia is a better pump the flow is not as linier and you get a much softer sread over all i think the koralia is the best bang for the buck and if you want you can put them on a 6 hour cycle not any less as they wont last you long if you do

Sure flow 2500 GPH works quieter than the 1600s on maxi 1200s. I put 2 on a 150 & really had to play with placement not to have to much flow in the tank.

I think You can use them with sieo controllers for a wave making abilitys ramping up and down. I have some on regular lamps timers but i extend the time like victors does 6hr on 6 hrs off. Regular on off timers will wear them out faster.

Sorry-

I have a 180 6x2x2 tank. What's the "Sure flow 2500 GPH"? That's obviously something different from the Sure flow 1600 right? Where do you get that? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Are putting them on timers really needed, or just a bonus thing to do?

Joe

Timers just give them a randum flow. Not required but can be a good idea to give realistic current effects! What are your runing for flow in your 180 right now, return and powerheads?

joejubee;106485 wrote: Hey all,

groovin. That's all well and good, but I can't afford the $500-$800 that they will cost.

Joe

Joe,

Um, just so things are being compared on a level field... The Tunze 6025 is in the $65 range, and the 6045 is around $100, from what I have seen. Of the Nano's, only the 6055, which is variable speed, is in the 200+ range (each). The 6025 and 6045 are fixed speed, and run straight from the wall (no special controller required). For completeness, yes you can run the 6055 straight from the wall, but if you want to take advantage of the varying speed in real time, you need a controller of some sort. Now if you did not mean to say Nano's, then the price goes up fast.

This is still higher than a Maxijet mod, but is a more accurate $$ comparison.

I have used 6025's and 6055's, as well as 6100's. I also use Maxijet's (my favorite in that type) with no mods, and have a Seio. Each has its high and low points...

-Mike

joejubee;106592 wrote: Sorry-

I have a 180 6x2x2 tank. What's the "Sure flow 2500 GPH"? That's obviously something different from the Sure flow 1600 right? Where do you get that? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Are putting them on timers really needed, or just a bonus thing to do?

Joe
I thought the 2500 should have been reliesed by now:huh: .

I just call the manufacture when my 1600s i bought were too loud, and they sent me the newer 2500 props that converted them into 2500 gph right away.

Heres another brand (i think they are trying to make these to include the magnets not sure)
a>

Right now, all I'm running are a Sequence Dart on the closed loop, and a Sequence Snapper on my return. I have two Maxijet 1200's inside the tank, just hangin' around...

I just got an email from Matt over at Triton, and he says they have the high-flows in stock now. For $25 with 1600gph and 2600gph props, and a cool looking mounting bracket, I think they might be the selection unless anyone has any huge complaints about them.

Joe

Added: They also said:

"We have a magnetic mounting bracket coming out which our GS2 kit will work with. We are currently waiting for our order of magnets to arrives which is sometime this month at which time we can start production on that. In the meantime, you can get magnets and glue them if you don't want to use the suction cups themselves."

Koralias are good, Tunze 6025s are good with a DIY mod, Tunze 6045s are good but a bit more at close to $100 each. Any of these will work well as will a modded maxijet. Personally, I would go with the Koralias if you don't mind a slightly larger powerhead in your tank.

I just ordered two of the Gulf Stream II Bundle Flow Kits and some of the 37mm x 6mm N40 Epoxy Coated Disc Magnets...

Cross your fingers...

Back