Turbinaria Fragging info

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: #1f5080;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Dear Eric, </span></span>
<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: black;"></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: black;">I have a Turbinaria (?) that someone would like a frag from. I really don't want to disturb it from it's place in the tank, so is there any tool sharp enough to cut a piece without taking it out of the tank or disturbing it a bunch? Also, what type would you thing it is?</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: black;">Thanks!</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: black;">Ralph
</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: black;"></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 11px;"><font size="4" data-gcupd="font-4"><!-- gcu-updated --><span style="color: black;">Couple of questions: Is it attached and grown onto anything that would prevent its easy removal from the tank?
Second, taking it out of the tank to fragment it and putting it back, if not attached, would not result in any disturbance more stressful than doing the same thing in the tank. Third, I wouldn't guess the species as the genus as a whole is very plastic.

Now, this colony looks to me very amenable to taking a 1" chisel and just putting it under one of the skeletal folds and just giving it a twist upward. This should just pop pieces loose. Alternately, a small stainless jeweler's hammer and a small chisel would do the same in a downward fashion. Some of the plates look thin enough to clip with a good size coal clipper, but I am afraid on Turbinaria you might wind up doing a lot of crushing and end up with a lot of smaller fragments in your attempt to cut off a larger piece. A dremel would work nicely on this one, too.

</font><!-- gcu-updated SIZE --></span>

Back