Turbo Snails Eating Soft Coral

mikedawg

Reaction score
Well, looks like my "reef safe" turbo snails just ate a significant number of green star polyps; anybody else experience them eating soft coral?

Are you sure the polyps were eaten? They can close up, and stay closed up for a good long while - weeks, even.

It's possible that a snail went across them, irritated them and they closed up, leaving a purple 'mat'.

Are you sure the snails are Turbos? There are coral-eating snails - cowries, for example (they don't look like turbos...) they will mow down corals faster than all get-out.

Jenn

Turbos for sure; and now I'm BEGINNING to see a little light green pop out. Thanks for the note of caution.

Green Star Polyps are very resilient, and can stay 'dormant' for a long time.

After a chiller mishap where a controller failed and brought a tank from 78 to 52 degrees within 24 hours, the polyps stayed closed up tight for over 3 weeks.

Then they opened back up and resumed taking over the tank ;)

Jenn

I would have loved to have your GSP eating snails when I had that plague in my tank!

Seriously, like Jenn said, they are almost impossible to kill and I have never seen any "reef safe" animal eat them.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate your advice and your humor. So, instead of just lurking on the board, I've decided to join the club.

Mikedawg;1099127 wrote: Thanks everybody. I appreciate your advice and your humor. So, instead of just lurking on the board, I've decided to join the club.
Awesome to have you join us. It's a great club, full of generous people.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back