Under Cabinet Lighting

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals

I'm in the middle of kitchen remodel (thanks to Grouper Therapy) and am trying to figure out which under cabinet lights to buy. I am wanting a good spread so am leaning towards a fluorescent light. If you are happy with what you have please post a make/model of what you have. I am not wanting to spend an ton on this if I don't have to.

Thought it couldn't hurt to ask on here for some feedback

Thanks

Tyson

They make some pretty decent decorative LED strip lighting these days that are SUPER cheap.

Check SuperBrightLEDs. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for an no bulb/ballast replacement either.

Flourescent will do the best job of giving you even lighting but I used halogen hockey pucks on mine and I like the look. Easy and cheap. Who is doing your wiring. :)

Thanks guys.... A friend of mine is helping me with the wiring. I will be doing direct wiring on the under cabinet and will have an outlet above each cabinet for rope lights. They will be on separate switches.

jbadd99;853897 wrote: They make some pretty decent decorative LED strip lighting these days that are SUPER cheap.

Check SuperBrightLEDs. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for an no bulb/ballast replacement either.

There's a lot of viable LED options that require the least amount of work and are virtually unseen when installed. I'd go this route (even though I didn't use under-cabinet lighting in my remodel).

I'm down with led's if they are going to be hassle free. I don't know squat about them. Last thing I want to do is have to replace all the time. I checked out the super bright led website and didn't see anything that looked like it would be what I'm looking for. Need 2 fixtures in the 40" range and 3 in the 18" range

I justed installed some Hampton bay super slim under cabinet led light strips last week, fairly easy install, nice warm light and won't break the bank, and you won't need to replace the bulbs for a long time. Here's the link for the 12" but they make larger ones as well.

a>

tgriffin;853914 wrote: I'm down with led's if they are going to be hassle free. I don't know squat about them. Last thing I want to do is have to replace all the time. I checked out the super bright led website and didn't see anything that looked like it would be what I'm looking for. Need 2 fixtures in the 40" range and 3 in the 18" range

LEDs should last you MANY more years than a single flourescent. You may pay a little more up front, but it'll save you in energy and bulbs on the backend.

Here:
a>

Sorry, I've got to chime in here. LED's are great and I'm a HUGE proponent of them. However, in your particular application I wouldn't recommend them. LED's have came a long way to where there at now, but if you want a dimmable LED (good quality) your gonna pay. You'll also find it hard to get good color rendoring(home depot/lowes just don't carry what you would need IMO). The florescent option I disagree with all together. One, flourescents have to be ballested (either externally or internally), making the bulb or the fixture itself to have a much larger footprint. I recommend a bi-pin halogen bulb. This can be dimmed, it will put off a nice Kelvin temperature (2700k recommened), replacement bulbs are cheap. Hope this helps... Good luck!

Back