Under Sink RO/DI system

coblerx4

Market
Reaction score
I am tired of hooking up and making water every few weeks in my shower a gallon at a time. Can anyone suggest a good type that goes under the sink and is always making pure water. I saw one at home depot for $550 that was a under the sink filter system. Thanks

I connect mine to the outside garden hose and route a airhose line with the clean water inside to the house. Waste water goes into the yard and clean water comes into the house without any spills.

Your RO/DI should be able to be hooked up to your outside water outlet for the garden hose.

Check the
a> site.  Good prices and quality products.

This is how I set mine up. I bought a Typhoon 3 from Air Water Ice. My laundry room happens to back up to my garage. I mounted the Typhoon 3 RO/DI unit in the garage wall that backs up to my laundry room. I then installed a faucet "splitter" (screws into the cold water spicket for my washing machine) and ran the hose through the wall to my garage to supply the water. I then ran the waste hose back through the wall to the drain for my washing machine. I make my water change water and top off water 1 x per week.

I want one under my kitchen sink to use as drinking water also. I see Lowes has one by whirlpool. Anyone used this one, Rick

If you decide to ge the auction website route, be careful that you understand what it is you are buying, and what you are not buying. There is a lot of misconfigured, retrofitted drinking water systems on that site that are less than ideal for use in this hobby.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help you.

Russ

Thanks Russ and the filterguys for the help and info. From what I found out under the sink is not the the most ideal place for ro/di. Great for r/o but not di. I will try to see if there is any place in the garage that would work.

coblerx4;61563 wrote: Thanks Russ and the filterguys for the help and info. From what I found out under the sink is not the the most ideal place for ro/di. Great for r/o but not di. I will try to see if there is any place in the garage that would work.

Why? I dont see any reason why you cannot put the unit anywhere you want to,besides the fact that it may be a pain to reach under the sink all the time to turn the unit on and off.

Sorry for the hijack but sort of fits your questions.

If you put the system in the garage is there a reason you could not run long tubing from there to the sink and possibly "T" it to the fridge for ice. If so is there a max length of tubing you could use.

I am on a slab and my sink is not on a outside wall. 46bfinga I could put one under the sink but that defeats the whole purpose of making it easier for myself. I would still have to wait the 40min to make a gal of water every time I needed one. I was looking for a system like the R/O for drinking water but with DI also that would have its own faucet above the sink with 3 gal holding tank below that is pressurized. So I would always have a few gals of water as needed. Rick

You can buy one of those pressurized 3 gallon tanks and put it on any system.I bought a system off of ebay called Aquasafe it worked well for me and it included the tank and a faucet. I now have the Typhoon 3 from Air,Water,& Ice and it seems to work really well.I agree the garage is a better place to put the Ro/di so you can store more water.But I thought that putting it under your sink was what you wanted to do? Either way good luck with it!

I am kinda of confused on this. Russ and the filterguys both explained to me that the DI filter would come after the holding tank of RO water. I could hook the DI filter on but this would be a seperate hose that works off of gravity to fill my gallon jug and would take around 15 to 20 min to fill. I was hoping for a storage tank under the sink under pressure that would allow me to a quick gal when I needed. As I was told the DI water can not go thru any metal or the water will not be pure and this is why they do not sell any systems like this. Rick

I have setup in my house exactly what you're trying to install. Although my pressurized reserve RO tank is only 2 gallons. When I need ro/di I turn a valve and it runs the RO water through the DI and I have 2 gallons in under a minute. Otherwise it runs to my icemaker for ice and drinking water. Its not hard to install, and its worth every penny imo. Keep in mind that if you use your ro/di for drinking water you will shorten the life on your filters and membrane due to the constant on/off cycle from small usages. I've got plenty of backups stockpiled and I love the convenience. Just make sure you test your water monthly.

Rick - we might want to talk again - I think you've mixed up a few things!

A pressure tank is for RO water, not DI water.

Contact time is important in treating water with DI resin.

If you want to treat water from the pressure tank with DI resin, you can use two DI cartridges to extend the contact time.

Russ

All filters are before the pressure tank except the final (for taste) filter.

The final filter is between the pressure tank and the spigot. This is where you would tee everything off that you want to feed such as icemaker, storage tank etc.

Heres a simple install: Saddle valve on cold water heater supply. Unit attached to wall. Feed to storage, ice maker and tap. saddle valve to drain.

Heres how mine lays out I am doing it this weekend:

250 gallon storage tank in garage.
RODI unit in a cabinet next to the kitchen sink.
H2O feed from cold water sink supply use a saddle valve or buy some fittings(above the shut off valve).
Drain to drain pipe (above P-trap)
1st tee to spigot and 2nd tee
2nd tee to ice maker via drilled holes in the back of the cabinet and 250 gal storage tank line. The 3 gallon reservoir is a nice feature because it pressurizes your feed lines and gives you a little on hand water for drinking.

The hardest part of my job is cutting three small holes in the sheet rock to feed the line to the garage.

You can supplement the system with float switchs, pressure boosters and auto shut off's.

There is NO advantage to buying a more expensive unit at one of the chains unless you just like wasting money. The systems on EBAY come with the tank for a c-note. They all come with foolproof instructions just buy one already lol.

Back