Under tank floor protection suggestions

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for some type of material to protect my hardwood floor under where I'll be positioning my tank? I had a spill recently and now when I reposition my tank I want to be sure that any spills don't ruin the wood floors under the tank.

Thanks,

Michael

i forget what it's called, but you can get a rubber material that u put under bathtubs and such from HD.

Thanks. I'll stop by Home depot on the way home from work tomorrow.

Michael

Nothing. If you put something like a rubber mat under your tank, then any water spilled will be held there until it soaks into the floor or evaporates. If you have nothing there, then the water can escape much easier. Unless your floors aren't treated for some reason, I wouldn't (and don't myself) put anything under it...

You can't let water sit on hardwoods. Since they expand and contract, the water will seep through, damaging the floors from underneath.

But, you will need to still clean up the water from the rubber matting, otherwise it will sit there until it evaporates. The mat won't absorb the water.

True enough that the water won't absorb water. I've had problems in the past with larger spills where the water seeps under the mat and stays. The mat doesn't absorb the water, but doesn't let it evaporate, either.

I suppose either way, the best advice is "avoid spills." :)

The Tub liner looks like it'll work. It's made of thick rubber and as long as there are no major spills it's enough to keep the water from getting onto the floor and there's enough room at the sides that I can suction any small spills up with my wet dry.

Thanks a lot.

By the way the liner doesn't let the water penetrate to the floor under it. The water either stays on the liner until it evaporates or gets cleaned off.

Back