Underrated fish

silver surfer

Market
Reaction score
I have many “holy grail” fish in my display but I believe this hobby has many underrated fish. I have a new fish in QT and I believe it doesn’t really get much attention. But this fish in a well established reef tank can be a “holy grail” fish.

The powder brown tang. What are some others?
c4e6ce83b6a75a9fece4c58cd79e74b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a nice fish. How long have you had the TW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got it local from The Fish Store about 2 years ago. Nervously put it through QT and copper and it survived. Doing great. Grows VERY slowly though. Eats everything.

We have aiptasia too and can’t find anything that will eat the stuff! It’s getting bigger
I battled it for years. Then bought a filefish. Aiptasia are gone, the filefish doesn't seem to bother corals.

I battled it for years. Then bought a filefish. Aiptasia are gone, the filefish doesn't seem to bother corals.
The last filefish I bought ignored aiptasia and picked at my Duncan so I took it back. Need to get my QT’d fish out of the QT tank and i to the display so I can start QT’ing a new filefish

Filefish, a hit or a miss like anything else really... I had one for over a year then one day it decided to eat my fancy torch over night. That was a bummer to say the least... had to get rid of it quick

My pick for underrate fish is goldflake angel, great personality and as bonus it eats aiptaisia!

Filefish, a hit or a miss like anything else really... I had one for over a year then one day it decided to eat my fancy torch over night. That was a bummer to say the least... had to get rid of it quick

My pick for underrate fish is goldflake angel, great personality and as bonus it eats aiptaisia!
Do they all eat aiptasia or just yours?

Maybe not the most amazing fish, but certainly underrated; Blue Sapphire (Springeri) Damsels. But Don’t Confuse them for blue damsels

I still have 3 that I got for $4 each. Beautiful Metallic Blue Color. Not aggressive. Hardy as a damsel. And excellent at pest control.

and I agree; lawnmower and starry Blennies are the best!

Last edited:
My current filefish ignored the aptasia for about 6 months, but then decided to try them and has kept the tank 100% aptasia free since then (about a year).

Back