Universal CO2 Scrubber - Bulk Reef Supply

jmcdona6

Reaction score
A pretty simple piece of equipment and almost more of a method review than a product one, but still I felt compelled to put this out there. I have had lowish ph ever since I put my reef up usually sitting between 7.8 and 8.0 varying depending on ambient conditions (season, people in house, etc). I have been reading a lot of research on the benefits of higher ph on coral growth. I considered several solutions but did not want to drill a hole in my wall to bring in outside air (external contaminants) and did not want to change dosing methods to kalkwasser (I have been using ESV 2-part successfully thus far). Ultimately, I saw a BRS video on CO2 scrubbers and decided to give it a shot, especially due to the price. Below is what I bought.

$36 (on sale for $31 at time of purpose) - Universal CO2 Scrubber

Cheap and only took 5 minutes to install. One of the complaints with this method is media frequency/cost. I set mine up to recirculate air from the skimmer cup back into the reactor. Easy modification and extends the life of the media 2-3x. Only issue so far is the humidity from the skimmer cup. I had to modify the intake hose to not have any low points to avoid condensation build-up in the hose leading to a wet vacuum and a lot of noise.

Below are my before and after results. The blue line is where I installed it. It immediately reversed my normal evening ph decline and has since settled into an 8.2-8.4 ph cycle. If it goes much higher I might need to install a ball valve on the scrubber to add back in unfiltered air to reduce its effectiveness (good problem to have I guess!). I expect the media cost to run around $10-15/month. Not horrible, especially if I see any noticeable benefits to the tank. Only time will tell.

1606755551908.png

Attachments

• 20201130_115014.jpg
    20201130_115014.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
A pretty simple piece of equipment and almost more of a method review than a product one, but still I felt compelled to put this out there. I have had lowish ph ever since I put my reef up usually sitting between 7.8 and 8.0 varying depending on ambient conditions (season, people in house, etc). I have been reading a lot of research on the benefits of higher ph on coral growth. I considered several solutions but did not want to drill a hole in my wall to bring in outside air (external contaminants) and did not want to change dosing methods to kalkwasser (I have been using ESV 2-part successfully thus far). Ultimately, I saw a BRS video on CO2 scrubbers and decided to give it a shot, especially due to the price. Below is what I bought.

$36 (on sale for $31 at time of purpose) - Universal CO2 Scrubber

Cheap and only took 5 minutes to install. One of the complaints with this method is media frequency/cost. I set mine up to recirculate air from the skimmer cup back into the reactor. Easy modification and extends the life of the media 2-3x. Only issue so far is the humidity from the skimmer cup. I had to modify the intake hose to not have any low points to avoid condensation build-up in the hose leading to a wet vacuum and a lot of noise.

Below are my before and after results. The blue line is where I installed it. It immediately reversed my normal evening ph decline and has since settled into an 8.2-8.4 ph cycle. If it goes much higher I might need to install a ball valve on the scrubber to add back in unfiltered air to reduce its effectiveness (good problem to have I guess!). I expect the media cost to run around $10-15/month. Not horrible, especially if I see any noticeable benefits to the tank. Only time will tell.

View attachment 34393
I think there's a media you can bake to reset for this so you don't have to keep buying more.

Hmm I will keep an eye out for that. First search didn't yield any results.
Oh, it was the BRS desiccant for drying air in a media reactor before it goes into an ozone generator that you bake to recharge, not the co2 media.

Back