Unknown algae

curator

Market
Reaction score
My new tank has been cycling for a week. Today for the first time I see numerous spots of algae on the rocks that is brownish/orangish/dark mustard-colored. Is this good...bad? Should I do something about this?

Thanks,

John

most likely diatoms. (i think thats how you spell it)

can you show us a pic

wait does it look like this

this
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
83994=5328-diatom.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
83994=5328-diatom.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="diatom.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Oh man.. did you start your tank with tap water or uncured rock? It looks like a mix of cyanobacteria and diatom growth.

Cyano is fed by an excess of nutrients in the water i.e. NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4s etc. The oxygen bubbles are a dead giveaway to the cyano.

Diatoms produce a brown slimy growth. They are fed mainly by silicate. A phosphate remover will help fight it off.

Do you have a protein skimmer, and can you post your water parameters?

DannyBradley;84008 wrote: Oh man.. did you start your tank with tap water or uncured rock? It looks like a mix of cyanobacteria and diatom growth.

Cyano is fed by an excess of nutrients in the water i.e. NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4s etc. The oxygen bubbles are a dead giveaway to the cyano.

Diatoms produce a brown slimy growth. They are fed mainly by silicate. A phosphate remover will help fight it off.

Do you have a protein skimmer, and can you post your water parameters?

how did you know with out a pic.

not for nothing but all your snail shells are empty now thats either you put them in that way orr you have dynoflaageletts think thats how you spell it i might be wrong but that dont look like cyano

flaco626nj;84032 wrote: not for nothing but all your snail shells are empty now thats either you put them in that way orr you have dynoflaageletts think thats how you spell it i might be wrong but that dont look like cyano
that picture was posted by me to see if it looked like that

it is not HIS

sorry for the caps just needed more attention.

I askedd one of the people at Marine Fish yesterday about this algae. His response was that it is normal for a cycling and that it was nothing to worry about. I have noticed that after leaving the lights off for a day, the algae spots become much less pronounced and more subdued in color.

Back