Unpopular Opinion: I personally hate bounce mushrooms

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
Why?

1. They look really strange and unnatural to me. We force them to bounce(at least according to many reefers, who introduce them to warmer spectrum or heavy blue lighting), and it's something that's rather uncommon in the wild. The colors are so outrageous and the vesicles are overly shaped like popcorn. They make me feel like im in a candy shop rather than looking into a reef tank.

2. They are extremely overpriced and the same corals without bounce are quite cheap. They are a fad, and so before long we'll be assigning them ridiculous designer names and selling them at more exorbitant prices. Sellers of these often market them under predatory scarcity marketing ploys. I can't wait for them to release the WWC OG Super purple bio-hazard butt hole bounce.

3. Because they are trendy, prices are super expensive, not always because how they look. In a fully stocked, 6 foot long reef tank most people won't notice these little guys. The insane pricing I feel, creates a bad precedent for pricing future coral out of the average reefer's price range. But if you wanna spend triple digit on a mushroom and have the money, power to you my friend.

In conclusion, bounce mushrooms suck and I am probably being stubborn and salty towards them for no real rational reasons, who knows.

Happy reefing! :)

Same with specialty clowns, aberrant tangs and those goldfish with the huge eyes and two tails.

Mutations do not appeal to me. I just sit there thinking "You paid how much for something that looks like it grew in Chernobyl?"

Same with corals that are brown except under actinics and yet somehow priced the same as corals that actually look good....the hell?

I agree wholeheartedly, although think you’re going a bit dramatic with the explanation. Lol

Nonetheless, the explanation to your inquiry I would say: We tend to link interesting colors and shapes, and bounces have those. So I see why some people will like them.

But for me, not to the point that I’d pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for them. A nice jawbreaker is much more beautiful to me.

I agree wholeheartedly, although think you’re going a bit dramatic with the explanation. Lol

Nonetheless, the explanation to your inquiry I would say: We tend to link interesting colors and shapes, and bounces have those. So I see why some people will like them.

But for me, not to the point that I’d pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for them. A nice jawbreaker is much more beautiful to me.
This was meant to be as comical as it is serious lol. I have no intention of offending anyone who loves their shrooms. :)

I’m pretty sure most everybody follows. Lol. And doubt anybody is offended. ... So no need to explain. You’re in good company

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm do you run natural lights or blue lights in your tank ..cause the blue lights make corals look different ? I think to each their own . Bright , crazy, omg factor is what some want ,others like natural looking things . This scenario is played out in all hobbies..ie fishing, hunting , custom cars , just about all hobbies have a variety of markets per say. It keeps things progressing imo. Price/ value is up to the buyer really..

Back