Upgrading a light fixture...150W to 250W

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I was looking at a fixture that someone reto'd from 175W to 250W. It was working nicely, and I was wondering if I could do it with a light I have. The thing would be heat. The fixture already gets hot to the touch. I know heat is a big issue with tube lights 9as far as decreasing life), but for a MH, will heat significantlly decrease bulb life and/or efficiency? Lets assume all wiring, etc was safe from melting.

It depends on the light and fixture.

I can tell you that if it's a
shopdisplayproducts.asp

i agree with barabara i tried it once and it ended up in disaster i almost electrocuted (sp?) myself when i plugged the fixture in.

its better to just start from scratch IMHO

Who manufactures your fixture? As George mentioned, it is possible to upgrade some of them. You will need to switch out the sockets besides replacing the ballasts.

It's actually a solana fixture. That's where the problem comes in. A very limited fixture, but IMO, a very nice looking design.

I'm not set on modding, just trying to think up possibilites here. I haven't opened the thing up to see what's inside, so I'm not sure how close the tolerances would be on the space, wiring, etc, but I imagine it to be very limiting... I would just have to take a peek. I think that is part of the fun of the hobby... modding... And yes we can learn form the failures, too...

My second option is a lumiarc mini, which I think look nice in their unfinished form, but my girlfriend disagrees... :(

I haven't had the opportunity to "play" with a Solana fixture but, if it uses the standard Current-USA MH reflector, there would be enough room to switch out the 150w DE sockets for the 250w sockets. There are Lumenarc pendents available (
proddetail.asp

Back