Upgrading tank questions.....

oceanreefer124

Market
Reaction score
I currently have a 55 gallon reef that is almost full. I love the space that it is in, which is right next to my T.V. Here are my questions.

1. If I get a 120 or larger tank, how do I make enough water to fill it an move my existing items into the new tank?

2. Lets say I get a 135Gal. If I have a 55 that means I still need 80Gal of freash saltwater to put into the tank. Will my corals last with that much "NEW" water?

3. Has anyone on here ever made such a big jump?

I am open to all comments and suggestions.

Thanks

I am currently doing the exactly what you are asking. I have a 40 & 30 Cube that I am combining into a 160 Cube. I bought a 35 Gal trashcan and use it to mix each batch of water. It's a slow process but that is the only way to go about it! Rushing it can cause disaster. For me it is easier since the tank is in a new location. Yours is going where you have your current tank I take it? Just plan out the whole process, thinking through each step. One of the biggest mistake is making sure that the PH, salinity and Temp match your current tank. Ensuring this will help to decrease the stress on your inhabitants. Use as much of the current SW as possbile, thus transfering all the good biologics from the old system. Good luck with your venture, exciting and quite stressful!

i would take your time and add your old water from water changes every week keeping it circulated that is. this is how i did my upgrades every time with no problems.

Just make sure your new tank is cycled and using a mix of old and new water will help.

Don't forget to account for lighting differences if your increasing the output of your fixtures.

To make the move, just act like all your corals and livestock are new from a supplier. Fill the new tank full of water, add salt, mix for a day or so, move the rock (it doesn't require acclimation and die off should be minimal if even noticeable), drip acclimate the fish and livestock. I would probably dip the corals in Pro Coral to nuke any bugs that might be present from the old aquarium since you are going through the trouble then throw them into the tank. Most people just put corals right into the tank after a dip without any kind of acclimation and this rarely causes any long term problems.

Back