Upgrading tank- sand questions...

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys, noob question- I have been doing a lot of reading about moving sand beds and I'm torn when it comes to the age old question of rinsing my sand when upgrading my tank or replacing it with new.

I am getting an awesome deal on a 90 gallon rr tank that I couldn't refuse. I currently have a 55 gallon with an overflow box...

I will be moving everything to the new tank when I get it this weekend. I have about a 2-3 inch sandbed right now that has been established for over 6 months. Should I rinse it out really really well and add it to the new tank or just buy all new sand? Was planning on adding another 30-40lbs anyway.

If I should rinse it and reuse do I rinse with tap water? Ro water? Saltwater??

Trying not to go through a new cycle here. I will be saving a cup or two of unwashed sand to re seed regardless if I replace or use the old. Any advice/tips would be helpful. Thanks!!

You have another option: go to a bare bottom setup. If you ever thought about trying it, now, when you upgrade would be the time to do it. You can always add substrate later. Much messier to switch from substrate to a BB setup than vice versa.

Acroholic;897243 wrote: You have another option: go to a bare bottom setup. If you ever thought about trying it, now, when you upgrade would be the time to do it. You can always add substrate later. Much messier to switch from substrate to a BB setup than vice versa.

Yea I have thought about it but I have a sand sifting diamond goby, don't think he would be too happy about that lol plus I really like the look of sand and all the critters that get in it. Great suggestion though!

Edit:
Acroholic;897243 wrote: You have another option: go to a bare bottom setup. If you ever thought about trying it, now, when you upgrade would be the time to do it. You can always add substrate later. Much messier to switch from substrate to a BB setup than vice versa.

Is that your bare bottom tank on you tube?? That is sick!!! Never thought a bare bottom could look that good, I bet clean up is a breeze too! How long have you had it going and how were your nitrate levels?

Nickh06;897245 wrote: Yea I have thought about it but I have a sand sifting diamond goby, don't think he would be too happy about that lol plus I really like the look of sand and all the critters that get in it. Great suggestion though!

Edit:

Is that your bare bottom tank on you tube?? That is sick!!! Never thought a bare bottom could look that good, I bet clean up is a breeze too! How long have you had it going and how were your nitrate levels?

Yup, that is my tank. Been set up about 11 months. No cleanup in the tank necessary (besides broken off pieces of coral) because the tank has about 45,000 gph in-tank flow. Nitrate stays at 10 or lower. It could be very low, as I have a sulfur denitrator running now, but I haven't tested it in months.

Acroholic;897249 wrote: Yup, that is my tank. Been set up about 11 months. No cleanup in the tank necessary (besides broken off pieces of coral) because the tank has about 45,000 gph in-tank flow. Nitrate stays at 10 or lower. It could be very low, as I have a sulfur denitrator running now, but I haven't tested it in months.

That's very cool, do you do water changes?

Nickh06;897294 wrote: That's very cool, do you do water changes?

I have an auto water changer system that does about 4.6 gallons every day. I also vacuum the sump out once every couple weeks, which adda another 20 gallons a month to the water change total monthly.

However, you choose to use sand (i.e., certain fish have to have sand beds, such as many wrasses, etc) buy new sand....

If I wasn't in love with just above all fish that love sugar fine sand, I'd prob go bare bottom....but that's not an option for me.

Back