Upgrading to a 300

Tjohnson0393

Market
Reaction score
Good day anyone. I have question. I'm transferring my 120 to a 300. How long do i wait for my fish and coral to go in? New water, sand, and the live rock from my 120. All suggestions will help. Thanks in advance. One more thing it will be for sale once transferred. Will post i for sale section when time comes.16317170537017669347439928428735.jpg

if you are using the lr from the old tank to the new tank you should not have a cycle you can probably start adding immediately

I've never done a transfer before, but I would personally add in some Bio Spira or some sort of bacteria in a bottle just to be cautious. I don't think it would ever hurt anything, that's how I actually started my first tank.

When using the same rock and media, no need to wait. Use some bacteria in a bottle like Seed or Microbac7 or any brand you prefer. We change water all the time in our tanks, it is the live rock and biological media with bacteria that is what sustains are systems. However, that said, when moving to a larger system, you will either need more rock or more media to sustain a healthy bacteria population. So, either precycle, add to your current sump, all of the above etc to have enough for your new bigger system.

I would echo the bottled bacteria suggestion. Biospira or Seed are my go to’s. You can cause a mini cycle adding that much clean water volume in my opinion.

Will both systems be setup at the same time? I did water changes from the old to the new and vice versa every day for the first week to ensure at least a low level of nutrients in the new tank before I transferred my fish, rock, and corals into the new tank. May not be necessary.

Yep, just as they said, no real cycle will happen, you are just doing a very large water change. Adding bacteria will be beneficial to the animals.

Just ensure you get as much of the old sand attached to the rock as possible before placing into the new tank, going into new sand won't be any issue at all, I am just not a fan of bringing over the old sand, traps too much crap in it.

I"ve transferred same day a few times when reusing rock. I always throw about 2 ore 3 cups of sand from the old to new - and if I can xfer any water I do that as well.

Never had a cycle

I’m in a similar situation but going from a 60gal to 112gal. I currently have about 50lbs of live rock which is all I want in the new tank.

As far as the sand is it recommended to use all new sand? Do I take any of the old sand? Only buy live sand for the new tank?

Thanks.

personally - dry sand, rinsed as well as possible. I rinse in a 5 gallon bucket, about 1/3 full, with a garden hose until the water runs clear.

Put that in the new tank - when filling with saltwater I pull a few cups of sand and whatever comes with it (hopefully a bristleworm or such) from the old tank and spread throughout the new tank.

personally - dry sand, rinsed as well as possible. I rinse in a 5 gallon bucket, about 1/3 full, with a garden hose until the water runs clear.

Put that in the new tank - when filling with saltwater I pull a few cups of sand and whatever comes with it (hopefully a bristleworm or such) from the old tank and spread throughout the new tank.

So using dry sand thoroughly cleaned with a little original live sand should be fine right away along with the original live rock? Is there much benefit of live sand or just cost more? Thanks!

So using dry sand thoroughly cleaned with a little original live sand should be fine right away along with the original live rock?
Exactly how I've done it at least half a dozen times.

Is there much benefit of live sand or just cost more?
Just my personal opinion - live sand is a waste of money - especially when you have a bunch of truly live sand in your other tank.

I have no idea if anyone has done any kind of basic test to see if a cycle happens sooner or completes quicker with live sand sold in stores - I'd be amazed if it really did do anything.

Already have a shit load of live sand
It can be rinsed just the same. Just costed a little more.

If you use it as is, without rinsing, I would not use any other bacteria products for a while. Just test for ammonia and nitrite a couple times a day for the first week. A Seachem Ammonia Badge would be a good idea too.

Live rock and other media more important than sand, in my experience. If the bioload is the same, should be fine, with some bacterial supplement.

Back