Upgrading to a larger tank

chasbatl

Reaction score
I plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the next month or so and was wondering if removed the sand from my already established tank to put in the new tank will cause a cycle? I plan on completely washing the sand out to remove any detritus and then putting in the new tank with both new water and water from old tank and the live rock from the old tank. I was reading on Meleev's that doing this was ok but just wanted to see if anyone else has had success doing this without causing a cycle?

I agree. You can probably do it but I wouldn't take the chance. I ended up putting new sand in to the 210 when I upgraded. Moving the rock was not a problem for me so long as I kept it in water while moving it. I had very little to no die off this way.

Go with new sand. Even if you wash it your chances of a spike are higher. I'm in the middle of an upgrade myself and reusing the sand is just an unnecessary risk. Peace of mind is well worth the couple hundo it will cost.

thanks everyone, looks like i will be going with new live sand insteading of using the old.

Back