Upgrading to T5

atlfishes

Market
Reaction score
I have a 90 gallon with mainly LPS and softies. I'll go the retro route. I've done a little reseach and what is largely recommended on Reef Central is ReefGeek Retro kits. For my situation 36in 4x 39w icecap reflectors.

Bulbs

ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue

Does this sound right? Thanks

I am not sure if 4X39w is sufficient for LPS..You can try at least 4X54w. That should give you enough PARS for the LPS. I would feel more comfortable at 6 instead.

I have 5x54 watt bulbs and 1x39 watt bulb over my 72 bowfront, and sps and a maxima clam on the sand bed are growing nicely. I would go with the 48" bulbs, though, since they're nearly the same price and you'll get more light.

FWIW, the TEK II reflectors are a little better than the icecaps. Sam at aquabuys carries them. And if you're interested in overdriving them, I've got an Icecap 660 ballast for sale- cheap.

I would also forget about the super actinic and put another blue plus instead. i really didn't see any benefit in my tank with the SA, so I swapped them out for more blue plus which have greater PAR and also make the corals look nice.

cdub;104245 wrote: I would also forget about the super actinic and put another blue plus instead. i really didn't see any benefit in my tank with the SA, so I swapped them out for more blue plus which have greater PAR and also make the corals look nice.

You know, that's really the only downside to T5's IMO- the actinics absolutely stink. I've only got one on my tank, and I think I'll eventually replace it with an aquablue plus for more PAR.

I measured last night and I can't go with the 48inch. Are PC actinics better? I could go with 4 t5s and supplement with a PC actinic.....

Up to now I've always heard go with Icecap reflectors.

Do people agree ReefGeek sells quality retros?

Thanks

The T5 54w bulbs are actually 46.5" long. If you can fit them into your setup, they would be preferrable to the 39w T5s for your tank. The IceCap reflectors are outstanding. The new Tek2 reflectors are worth taking a look at as well.

Back