Urgent- Epoxy in Reef Aquarium

wbholwell

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know if using epoxy in a reef tank is harmful? Please respond quick- I've got some curing now on a new piece of equipment and I'm hving doubts!

I would think that depends mostly on the type of epoxy. What kind (ingrediants) of epoxy is it?

Most epoxys harden and should be non-corrosive even to salt water. In the future, I would use Marine Epoxy to be safe.

I used some epoxy from Home Depot once but that was when I had nothing in the tank. Also I would let it harden fully.

It's Loctite brand 2 part epoxy- the kind hat has a double syringe and you mix the 2 parts togther. I just noticed on the fine print on the back that it says "not for use on potable water systems." What do you think- should I remove it and find something else to use?

if it has any kind of mold inhibitor in it, do not use it. Personally I'ld just use some crazy glu gel

I'm using it to secure the overflow box on my DIY refugium. I think I'm going to go pull it off.

Looking at a few of the Data Sheets looks like this stuff will break down under wet conditions. I would assume more quickly in salt. I would switch to gel super glue or marine epoxy.

You need to use the 100% silicone sealant you can find in Home Depot or Lowes that does NOT have any anti-mildew or antimicrobial agents.

product_details.aspx

are you attaching acrylic to acrylic or what? I got some weld on 16 left over if you are interested.

i used Aquamend, a fiberglass epoxy available at HD. it cures within one hour. I let mine cure in a bucket of saltwater for an hour and then put it in the tank... worked like a charm! :)

i used it to fasten pieces of LR together...

The marine epoxy works great, can be bought at HD, and can be cured in the tank. I use it all the time to place mounted frags on my LR.

I am glad that you didn't use that stuff in your tank. It make me a bit worrysome.

GE Silicone I for windows and doors, clear, don't use GE II. I has a lower VOC content in it than II. I just glued together my 30 gallon water change container with it. I did my whole 100 gallon sump/refugium out it. Works great. Aquamend from Home Depot is a good product, when gluing a large colony you can put Aquamend around the frag then put Super Glue Gel on the back of the semihard Aquamend and stick it to the rock.

Actually that will work if you let fully cure first. Many have "optimized" their becketts on RC by filling the 4 big holes and drilling many small ones using that epoxy and it has been fine.

Having said that I would also reccommend either super glue gel or the Aquamend epoxy or both as they are totally reef safe. And as mentioned if it's acrylic Weld-On is really the way to go.

Back