Urgent: Power strip Issue

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
SO i was cleaning my sump when i noticed a sizzling sound. I went to check the power centers and i got shocked. SO i unplugged the one that i recieved the jolt from. I noticed A buzzing sound coming from the coralife power center/ timer and the light on it is flickering but no shockin when i touch it. Everything is unplugged now. I cant figure out what happened nothing got wet, my hands were dry when i recieved the shock... Help anyone?

EDIT When i got the shock from the power strip it was also in the OFF position

Ringo®;953212 wrote: Salt creep maybe?

Shouldnt be, the power strips are hung on the side of the stand, not touching the sump
And now im too scared to plug anything back up

Im going to assume the timer and power strips are bad. What do you guys use for power strip/timer?

That might be a bad strip that I won't use if it was mine, toss that somewhere, I have a used one lightly that I can give to you for free, if you want it.

joseayes;953225 wrote: That might be a bad strip that I won't use if it was mine, toss that somewhere, I have a used one lightly that I can give to you for free, if you want it.

It would be greatly appreciated. Im considering getting one of these for next time.

That's the same I was using too, since the outlet that I got wasn't gfci, the one I have extra is another coralife

joseayes;953227 wrote: That's the same I was using too, since the outlet that I got wasn't gfci, the one I have extra is another coralife

OK, thats wonderful. :)

It could also be a faulty piece of equipment in your tank/sump. What equipment is in the water. Where is ATL do you live?

All it takes is one drip of water in those strips to short them out. Electricity travels very well in saltwater too. I would toss it in the garbage and find another one.

Braselton4;953243 wrote: It could also be a faulty piece of equipment in your tank/sump. What equipment is in the water. Where is ATL do you live?

2 heaters , 4 powerheads , return pump but they were all off when the shock happened . Not sure if I mentioned that I was shocked when I touched the cord

Sent from my Z993 using Tapatalk

What else were you touching when you touched the cord? Electricity needs a completed circuit to flow. Your body cannot tell the directions especially when AC current reverses direction 60 times a second. My guess is the power strip is bad. Especially if you heard a crackle or sizzle. That is consistent with an arc (sparking) caused by a loose connection and/or a foreign object coming in contact with a conductor.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

rdnelson99;953259 wrote: What else were you touching when you touched the cord? Electricity needs a completed circuit to flow. Your body cannot tell the directions especially when AC current reverses direction 60 times a second. My guess is the power strip is bad. Especially if you heard a crackle or sizzle. That is consistent with an arc (sparking) caused by a loose connection and/or a foreign object coming in contact with a conductor.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

It happened so quick i cant remember what else i was touching.

Start with the power strip. Just be careful for a while. That may be treating the symptom and not the cause. A meter will not do you much good in my opinion. Myself and another electrical contractor ran some tests a couple years ago that indicated that most tanks will read stray voltage. I believe that the salt water acts as an electrolyte just like a battery. When in constant motion, it will generate some voltage but should never be enough to shock you. Therefore, a meter really won't tell you anything. Trial and error can get expensive replacing parts but sometimes it is the only way.

So i used my kitchen gfci and the sink to test the equipment, nothing tripped it, i didnt bother with the strip that shocked me because i didnt want to get shocked again. But it had burn marks where a plug was so i threw it out. PLugged everything back up one at a time, tested with my hand, after watching the fish for a sec. No tingling or anything. So i guess problem solved. Gonna make a new thread asking specifically what other people use for power strip and timers/

Hey Salty, sorry about your electrical issues.... I have a dual timer coralife power strip that I only used for a few months before I put a reefkeeper on my system. You can have it if you still need it.

If I were you and your budget allows it I would get a controller either Reef Angel or Apex. Its an investment but its nice not having to deal with timers.

Back