Urgent Question - Gotta leave town!

gatordrew

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals -

I have an ER that came up. I was about to head out when I realized that I had to worry about evaporation in my tank.

I have a Koralia 3 in the tank. As far as live stock goes, I have some a brittle star, crabs, etc (basic clean up crew.

I also have a couple of "basic" mushrooms and ricordea. I also have some star thing, I can't remember the name.

Anyway, I'm thinking about completely turning off the return pump and leaving the Koralia and heater on (lights also on).

I'll be gone until Sunday night (~4 days).

Do you forsee any problems?

If thats all the livestock you got then I say go for it!

Some people keep tanks for months without a skimmer, and some set-ups dont include return pumps.

I'd bleed the lines to and from the return before just firing up the system again, as the water traped in the hoses will go bad without air contact

The other option is I unplug my "Surge 7500" return pump (80watts) and turn off just the skimmer and hook my Rio 1700 up to the return. That pump is about 20 watts. I could then just fill my sump all the way up and hope for the best.

No fish. PC lighting from Coralife. 2-65 watt 10,000K Daylight & 2-65 watt 03 Blue Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamps, 2 built in ballasts, 3-3/4 watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED Lamps , 2 cooling fans

Tank is 90 gallons.

I have a wet/dry Proclear 125.

Did you check the *Tank Sitters* list to see if there's anyone in your area? Many people do this for little or nothing (gas $ or a frag)

Big D;78610 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">What is your normal evaporation rate per day?</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>
Typical evaporation is ~1 gallon a day.

Linda - no, I have not.

I switched pumps to the Rio... even though its REALLY SLOW. It's pushing some water out. Perhaps if I fill my wetdry all the way up I can risk it. The backside is if my power goes out... but chance to take.

So, options:

Leave rio and risk it running dry OR overflowing from power outage

Turn off all return pumps.

So, evaporation with 100 watts is a gallon per day.

20 watts (80% less) would mean that a same gallon could last perhaps four days. Right? LOL

So basically, we're talking about 2 gallons of evaporation. You'll fill it Thursday, and fill it again Sunday...... No biggie IMHO

Awesome!!! Thank you!

Just want to say that you're all awesome! I posted this on Aquaria Central as well... and got no response. You all rock.

Now, I gotta leave! Adios!

Back