Use this bucket of salt or not?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
My "new" 90 came with, among other things, a little over half a bucket of Instant Ocean salt (which is the brand I use). It has apparently been stored in a humid area, because if is pretty clumped-up.

Is there a problem using it? I realize that it won't measure right (not the same as when it was loose), so I'd have to get close and "sneak up" on it. My usual measurements won't be exactly the same.

But, is there any reason (other than above) not to use it? Does salt go bad over time? Is there a test that would show me? I could mix up a test batch.

Thanks!

I did use my clumped salt - no effects.

Salt is hygroscopic (sp?) - so it will always clump even if only the bucket is left open in the house.
I have a refractometer f you want to measure the salinity exactly.

Test batch. Post. Could help ALOT of people that haven't asked this question

OK. And Robb, I'll take you up on that. If you'll call me when you're up and about, I'll come get it. Don't want to make you wake up one minute early on a Sunday!
Plus, that will give me that opportunity to talk about the sump setup with you.

I'm off to paint the back glass of the new tank in a few minutes. It goes on the inside, right? :tongue2:

770 633-1293

Smoothie;321262 wrote: Test batch. Post. Could help ALOT of people that haven't asked this question

What would be the useful information to test? Just what the salinity came out to when mixed according to direction, so we'd know how far it is off from normal?

Take results and then unfortunately find a bag from the same batch to test against. Didn't think about that before I turned into Mr Happy on the reply. May be able to use the unclumped bottom of the bucketto test against, but then some will argue that the elements settle. Either way glad you're on here and appreciate you posting your questions, dedications, trials and errors.

I have no idea how old the salt is, so if I find a bucket from the same batch I'm buying lottery tickets on the way home.

Realistically, the best I'll be able to do is compare it against a bag of IO that I bought Thursday. I'm making water with that bag tonight anyway. NOW I wish I had more test kits... I've just got Ammonia, Trite, Trate, PH, KH and Phosphate. Since I don't have any corals yet I haven't even thinking about calcium, mag etc.

If my tank sway goes smoothly tomorrow, I'll be posting drunk from the celebration! :)

That should read "tank swap". No drunk posting going on yet, I promise.

other than confirming all the params are normal with your batch of mixed water, you shouldn't need to test for a week or so.
At first, I tested everything daily to be able to record the cycle, and to get a baseline established for the PH of my water, now I dose to correct PH, and verify salinity, oxygenate and heat to temp and in the tank it goes.
I've used clumped IO before, no issues. You can weigh a cupful on a scale, and compare weight to a clump to gauge how close you should be, but verify with refractometer or salinity gauge. I like the old school thermometer/ hydrometer to get it in the ballpark, and fine tune with refractometer.

I've heard that before, but in my limited experience, it's more likely something altered the PH and that would cause calcium carbonate.
I just went through a self-inflicted OD of calcium and learned what precipitation is firsthand. PH of 7.0- 7.4 with a calcium of 500+ will cause problems. One thing I've discovered is that while the Calcium precipitated, the measurable level still is viable. Its the undissolved solids that remain after mixing you don't need to pour in the tank.
Even if the Calcium reads low, you *can* dose it back up.. however you may find you need to dose mag and strontium too.
If in doubt, throw it out. Test later with something other than your main prize DT.

I wouldn't throw it out if you are in doubt but use it for things like I did with some questionable salt. ie. mix up a bucket to clean up live rock w/ cyno, put in brine shrimp hatching tank. I'm sure you can find some use other than your main tank if you are uneasy to use it in a new setup.

Back