Using a glass cover

geno

Market
Reaction score
Now that I have a chiller to keep the tank temp regulated, I reinstalled the glass tops that came with my 125g. This helps to keep my yellow headed goby in the tank -- the mate jumped out.

Question: Do you think the oxygen exchange will be compromised by the glass tops? If so, would an air stone help? I don't have an ORP monitor.

thanks for your thoughts.

-geno

I think you should be okay. Ive heard that air stones are a no no for reef tanks. Between the water moving threw the sump and on the surface of the water there should not be a problem. Alot of people are using some sort of screen that they have made into a top...

I agree with Barbara here.

Most modern research show that a skimmer does not impart as much O2 into the water as you would think. The size of the bubbles in a skimmer are suited for bonding to protein and that is how they work, too bad that bonding does not allow much of the O2 to "dissolve" into the water.

Brenda is also right about the need to clean and maintain a glass top. There will still be evap coming from the tank and when it hits the glass top, it is going to from droplets that obscure the light.

IMHO, You are better off using some egg crate. It will allow the light to pass, lower maintenance, and if you got a fish that can jump out of it then that fish intended to commit suicide and who are you to say that is wrong?!? ;) Seriously, fish can not jump in a straight line that far up and get through the crate.

Check out what I made:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15231">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15231</a>
Not my idea (came from RC) but works great, blocks virtually no light, and keeps the fishies where they belong.

Barbara;172133 wrote: Ha-ha-ha!!!!!! Brandon, you called me Brenda again!!!!!

Did I ever tell you about my friend Tony? I knew him for over 10 years, and he used to look me right in the eye during conversations and say "I'm tellin' you, Brenda! You just wouldn't believe......." or whatever we were talking about at the time. He never even realized he did it! Too funny Brandon!

LMAO... I did didn't I?!? Funny because your name is right next to me when I tope those dang posts. ;) See what happens when I am talking on the phone and typing at the same time. Ya, I heard your Tony story and I think you have another Tony on your hands! When I am not thinkin about it my fingers just will not type it right!

You can use an airstone, but they're messy.

The glass tops are more trouble than they're worth.

Generally, the sump is inadequate for air exchange.

I think you have orp confused. (Or do I?)

I thought ORP was a measure associated with oxygen capacity (potential) -- or something like that. Maybe not. I've been reading so much that I can't keep much of this technical stuff clear.

I'm going to reinvestigate a mesh top. I tried the lighting grid and it's not for me. I liked the mesh top provided in the link from flinster. Now, to find that mesh somewhere.

-gene

You can get it at home depot, if I am thinking about the right stuff, pretty much a roll of window screen..I have to be wrong, that blocks light..
Bran. You kill me with the Brenda thing, I have seen it a few times lol

Back