Using a used brute for mixing water?

Monk005

Supporting
Reaction score
I have an old brute garbage can that I used as a garbage can for a few years. I cleaned it by soaking it with bleach and water, then scrubbing with light soap and water. It looks clean and does not have a smell. Is it safe for mixing water? Is there a way to confirm?

It really depends on what came in contact with the sides of the container. As long as it wasn’t some sort of chemical that can leach into and out of plastic then you should be fine. I would fill it with ro water and let it sit for a few days and then siphon some off into a smaller white container. See if that water has any color or smell to it. If not than you are likely good to go. But if it does id say it would be a good idea to clean it again. Maybe with muiratic acid this time since you went with bleach the first time. Just make sure to do it outdoors, wear gloves a respirator and eye protection, that stuff is no joke. You could also use vinegar but its not as strong and could take a few tries.

I have cleaned and used some nasty containers before....but I would highly recommend just getting a new one for peace of mind, especially if its to be used as your mixing tank for all future tank water.

Buy a new one. Use the old for yard waste. I just don't think it is worth it. Some things in this hobby you just need to buy new.

Back