Using Coral Dip Correctly?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I just picked up some Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure and am going to begin dipping my corals and moving them to a coral tank. I'm assuming following the directions on the bottle would be the correct thing to do. Are there any corals that I shouldn't dip in this stuff? Right now I will only be dipping mushrooms, ricordia, xenia, and zoas are these all ok to dip. In the future I hope to get another frogspawn, candy cane, green star polyps and kenyan tree. Is there any of those I sholdn't dip?

Thanks for any advise!

Bud

Nope, fine on all of those... I have not found a coral that can not be dipped yet.

it kills any parisite or redbugs you dont want in your tank pretty much it is a way to insure you dont put anything nasty in your tank that will kill any of you corals

In my case it is called "Closing the barn door after the horses escaped!" Something seems to be eating my new zoas, I found one nudibranch and took it out, but there is still something killing or eating them. So, I have a 20G long that I just set up and will move them all to it after dipping them. Today I started with a mushroom, pulsing xenia, a pompom xenia, and one zoa plug that is probably already completely dead. The mushroom and xenia were for practice just to make sure my cure doesn't immediately kill everything. If the mushroom and xenia look ok tomorrow I'll start with the live zoas.

LOL, I tell you it is safe! ;) I dip for 20-40 min and have never had a problem..

I totally believed you that the product is safe, it's me using it that worries me!

I am dipping a coral right now and can count over 100 flat worms on it. Now mind you, I knew it had flat worms when I got it so not fault to the ARC member who gave it to me but just goes to show how careful people need to be. FYI: I am doing a 40 min dip with procoral cure and after 30 min everyhting appears to be dead but I am going to go 40 just to make sure and still QT it afterwards to make double sure.

OK, everything I dipped yesterday looks relatively good this morning. The relative part is because at the same time I dipped the xenias and mushroom, I tried to split them. Hopefully they will recover ok, but at least one of the hands on the pulsing xenia was giving me the finger. I'm not sure if that was a dying act of defiance or meant to let me know it was going to live inspite of my razorblade bungling.

So, I dipped all my zoas and moved them to my coral quarantine. I inspected the dip with a magnifying glass and could only see what I think are copepods and amphipods that were left behind. I have no idea what has been killing and eating the zoas, they may just be dying for some reason as yet unknown and the pods are just coming in after they are dead and eating them. I can regularly see the pods crawling across the polyps and they do close when they go across them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will be ok in the coral tank.

I hit mine for 25 minutes using the water that comes from the bag. After 25 minutes, I scoop up some of my tank water and rinse the corals in that. Then in the tank they go. I don't acclimate any more than that. No problems so far and I have dipped several dozen corals this way.

Did you try the Zoa Dip recipe from RC? It works well.

That coral dip is pretty amazing stuff. I had a tiny trumpet frag once that came down with some kind of jelly infection. I was pretty sure that it was a goner, looked really bad. In an act of desperation, I floated it upside down it in a small container with a cup of tank water, a cup of new salt water and about 3X the normal dosage of coral dip. I left it in there for 1/2 hour the first day; it looked a bit better so I dipped it again for one hour the next day, skipped a day and then 1.5 hours the next day, and finally a two hour dip two days later.

I don't know if I made any mistakes doing that, but it's the nice pink one with the blue mouth at the top of my tank. Not sure if you noticed it.

I've also had a few colonies of zoas that came down with some kind of white fungus that appeared over night right after dipping and adding them. I made a double strength dip with tank water and let them sit in it for about an hour then blasted them with a baster in the dip. Not sure if it's dumb luck, but it's always worked so far.

Maybe I should start rinsing. I always figured the ocassional, extra iodine wouldn't hurt.

Dakota;55118 wrote: Maybe I should start rinsing. I always figured the ocassional, extra iodine wouldn't hurt.

Iodine is not all that is in some coral dips... Second you are rinsing to get off some of the crap that might be still attached or still dying... I doubt it is too needed but it takes two seconds and it is better to be safe then sorry in my book.

Thanks, Brandon.
It's always that final step that I miss that comes back to bite me.
Rinsing with tank water from now on.

Dakota;55118 wrote: Did you try the Zoa Dip recipe from RC? It works well.

I used the Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure with half water from the tank they came out of and half from the tank they went into. I dipped them for about 20 mins, rinsed them in water 3/4's from the tank they were going in, 1/4 water from the tank they came out of and then put them in the new tank. So far everything is looking pretty good. I'm going to wait till I can actually see growth from them and maybe even frag them before I try to reintroduce them into my tank.

Back