using dry rock

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
has any body here has use BRS dry rock?? i stared my 180 gallon with 240 pound of dry rock and 60 pound of live sand, i stared using STABILITY the same day i stared the tank and 2 weeks later i added BIO- SPIRA, and it has been running for 29 days and no cycle yet and no spike of ammonia so my question is, will i get a cycle if i use those products or will it just take longer due to the dry rock, thanks

Did you add any kind of ammonia source. I tend to throw in a raw shrimp or 2 from the grocery stores, but thee are lots of options to add ammonia.

Shrimpy Brains;1017471 wrote: Did you add any kind of ammonia source. I tend to throw in a raw shrimp or 2 from the grocery stores, but thee are lots of options to add ammonia.

no i did't, i was planing to do it but i don't know if i want that smell of a bad shrimp in the tank.

You need to add an ammonia source of some sort to get the cycle started. Some people cycle with fish(I think this is mean as the ammonia will burn their gills and possibly kill them) Some use crabs (stil seems cruel) some ghost feed the tank, some buy fish or shrimp from grocery store, others buy PURE ammonia from a hardware store, and there are even those who put urine in it, but the point is, you need to feed your bacteria somehow.

I'm starting a much smaller tank, but I used dry rock (one small piece of live) used stability and put in fish food, coral reef brine in the gel packets. It started cycling I'm in my 2nd week. Have diatoms now :)

scramer74;1017482 wrote: I'm starting a much smaller tank, but I used dry rock (one small piece of live) used stability and put in fish food, coral reef brine in the gel packets. It started cycling I'm in my 2nd week. Have diatoms now :)

i added 4 small pieces of live rock too but nothing happen on my. i guess i have to stop at Kroger to get some shrimp

I cycled with raw shrimp and BRS dry rock, worked great. Can also get some pure amonnia just make sure it is 100% pure. Dr Tim sells it cheap

Nickh06;1017499 wrote: I cycled with raw shrimp and BRS dry rock, worked great. Can also get some pure amonnia just make sure it is 100% pure. Dr Tim sells it cheap

Thanks , i just when to Kroger and got me some shrimp enough to make me a cocktail :)

Adding pure ammonia it what I did. It works great and gives you the controlability of how much your adding. Did a video on YouTube on it.

watch

Honestly, just have patience... don't add livestock for a good month at LEAST..

but what do i know.. I don't even have a tank haha

I used only dry rock from BRS (pukani) and live sand. I cycled with the Red Sea Reef Mature Program and completed my cycle in 21 days. Like others have said, you need an ammonia source or nothing else will get going.

Crew;1017817 wrote: I used only dry rock from BRS (pukani) and live sand. I cycled with the Red Sea Reef Mature Program and completed my cycle in 21 days. Like others have said, you need an ammonia source or nothing else will get going.

thanks i just added a couple of shrimps 2 days ago, will see what happen since i don't know how long will it take to start the cycle with the shrimp

If it's been 2 days, you should see an ammonia spike in the next day or 2 and then you can pull them out. If you haven't seen one by Sunday, I'd pull the shrimp out anyway. The spike came and went, you just missed it.

Crew;1017861 wrote: If it's been 2 days, you should see an ammonia spike in the next day or 2 and then you can pull them out. If you haven't seen one by Sunday, I'd pull the shrimp out anyway. The spike came and went, you just missed it.

ok thanks, i hope i get the cycle soon i has been 30 days already waiting for

Back