Using Frag Epoxy - Any Advice

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I have a small tank and I've been buying frags from members since I can get them unmounted (in a small tank, looks funny with argonite plugs everywhere) and I can usually see the parent colony. Not to mention I like to buy them very small to watch them grow:thumbs: . I have a nice vertical face on my rock and have started mounting a few frags to it. However, I have to use epoxy instead of Super Glue Gel to get a decent mounting surface.

My issue is when using the epoxy, I have a bright white blob under each frag that just looks bad. Will coraline, algae, etc. grow over the epoxy pretty quickly and hide it, or will I just have to wait until the coral get big enough to hide it that way. Most of my corals are SPS/LPS and not exactly fast growing...LOL.

Is there possibly a reef-safe dye I can mix with the epoxy to mute the bright white a little? I know it sounds a little corny, but when all your frags are like 1" big, the white really pops out. Thanks.

Coraline will eventually grow over it or the coral will encrust. If you do some searching they offer purple epoxy but its more expensive

You can buy reef epoxy in grey or purple...looks much better than the white.

I'll have to look into the dyed versions. The 2 I've epoxied so far were a neon candy cane and a red monti cap. The cap looked so bad with a band of epoxy along the edge I removed it before the epoxy set up.

I tried epoxying the cap along the edge so it looked like a shelf on the vertical face. Is that an acceptable way, or should I lay it flat to glue it? I'm clueless on how the caps attach and grow.

They can plate out from about anywhere. Along a rock edge or just as a cup from a flat surface.

I have never had luck using epoxy. I only use gel-type cryanocylate. I just dont seem to be able to get the epoxy to bond with the frag and he rock.

Use the glue, to glue the frag to the epoxy and then glue the epoxy to the rock. Stuff is very hard to knock off or remove. This is what I have been doing and it works good.

the white epoxy will be covered in no time! Pink looks better though

Back