Using Rehrig 95 Gallon HDPE as sump

pochaxoo

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good or bad on whether a 95 Gallon Husky trash can may be used as a sump. I am mostly concerned about leaching and don't know whether plastic gets treated with a anti fungal chemical. Any help is appreciated.

Seems like that would be kinda big for a sump. That is unless you are going to have it in another room or the basement. I think alot of people on here go to Tractor Supply Company and get the thick black plastic tub type containers for the large sumps. I have always been interested in the setup of those.

If you go for it wrap it in insulation to keep the temp more stable with the tank

Hmmm, I had not thought of that. I am going to use is soon, I like the closable roof for heat retention and am going to cut some acrylic and put it in the bin to create 2 - 3 chambers. 1st chamber is inflow from tank, mechanical filtration and the skimmer. second chamber is skimmer bubble settling and intake for refugium and chemical filter. Third is return from refugium and more bubble settling before return to tank. Looks like the head is 14' - wow, one pump will do 400 G/H at that height. I am still on the fence with the other pump as to whether it should be a closed loop recirculator or feed off from the sump.... I am going to have to use the hang on back CPR overflow to handle the flow rate though....Any help appreciated.

Back