Uv ballast DIY ....????

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Okay this one is for the DIY junkies.
I've been running an aqua 57watt UV sterilizer, recently I realize my bulb was out so I bought a new one and give it a shot....... it did not work, so now after spending Close to $70 for a new bulb it looks like my ballast might be out.
Anyone that knows me knows I can just leave it alone, so I tore it open to see what ballast they were using and it made me laugh because they tore the label off of the Ballast so you don't know which Ballast they actually used.

I guessing is a workhorse 5, anyone know for sure?

After I find out which one it is and replace it, since I had to cut the housing open I'm just going to put it back together with a 2 inch PVC coupling.

Ok, just an update on this, the Aqua uv 57watt and the 40watt both use the workhorse 5 ballast.
After a little research I save myself buying a new power supply for $103.00 and rplaced the ballast for $20.
Since the ballast is sealed in the housing you will have to cut it open, but it's standard 2" PVC pipe so if you make a clean cut you can just put a 2" coupling on it and you back to new.
Hopefully this helps you or someone else down the road.
DIY ..... for life.

Dunno about the 57w ones but Im sure you can find a cheaper one that works.

I replaced a ballast on one of my 40w ones for $12. Doesnt look good, and wires are all over but it works great.

Back