Uv flow rate

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
Is it possible to have the flow too slow for a UV sterilizer where it can be harmful to other beneficial things, creatures, nutrients, anything in the water? I need the flow to be 88 gallons per hour. I currently have a flow rate of 84 gallons per hour. I want to make sure I kill ich.

ReeferKeifer;1021153 wrote: Is it possible to have the flow too slow for a UV sterilizer where it can be harmful to other beneficial things, creatures, nutrients, anything in the water? I need the flow to be 88 gallons per hour. I currently have a flow rate of 84 gallons per hour. I want to make sure I kill ich.

The optimal flow rate through a UV is slow enough to have time to kill the organisms flowing through it, but fast enough to be effective, based on the size/gallons of tank.

You also need some flow to carry away heat generated by the UV bulb, but that's not too critical for well designed units.

So, the short answer to your question would be NO, with regard to 'harming other creatures'.
(fwiw- just to be clear, a UV will kill pretty much anything that flows through it)

ichthyoid;1021351 wrote:

so, the short answer to your question would be no, with regard to 'harming other creatures'.
(fwiw- just to be clear, a uv will kill pretty much anything that flows through it)

+1

Back