UV Install Location

tonytran509

Reaction score
So im about to install my uv and its pump.... so where would i put the pump in the sump and where should the return be? I pretty much have room anywhere in the sump to put either.

Hey Tony, Here's what I did. I put a new COR-20 (overkill, but also for return redundancy) behind my skimmer with a Neptune flow meter. I ran that line to the UV that runs behind my tank and put in a new, articulating pipe under my center brace, with the nozzles just below the water surface to kill siphons when the pump is off quickly.

I used the flow meter to tune the return on my DC pump to push for a flow range that gives me 180k UV (parasite killer mode).
d99899bcc61884f109f810ab288901fd.jpg
360710cdf059bfb17e0e1a378bf1933f.jpg
7ed31882e39f849993ce1c43a00bc8f2.jpg
f741becf2548a88204765769f59d7133.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, keep the pump away from microbubbles or your display will be a cloudy mess. My waterfall style overflow box that used to hold 2 socks (before moving to a rolling filter) generates tons of bubbles. That is a neighbor to my UV return pump, so I needed the baffle to foce bubbly overflow water to take a longer trip (and clear up) before reaching my UV return.

I’m no expert, but I recently did a ton of research to install my first UV. The “best” solution is to run it on a closed loop directly to/from your DT. That’s said, I didn’t plumb for that, nor was intolerant of another pipe feeding into my tank.

a loop in the sump is acceptable, if not optimal. If this is for your stacked system, then it’s probably the only way. The main thing is to have the inlet and outlet physically separated by a barrier. The goal is to run 100% of your tank water through the UV, and not just filtering a certain sump chamber over and over and over.

put the UV pump before the sump return chamber and the UV outlet in the return chamber, assuming your return chamber is “downhill” from everything else (in other words, sterilized water can’t backwash and be re-sterilized - that’s just a waste).

one option I was too chicken to try was to wye the UV output into the main pump return. I could see to many problems with that, so I didn’t try. Maybe worth experimenting with...?

a few things to keep in mind... the UV system can hold a good bit of water, so be sure to shut off your ATO and re-calibrate the sump water level before turning it back on. Don’t ask me how I learned this :)

second, when you plumb the UV this way, keep in mind that that water is bypassing some portion of your sump - potentially no skimmer, no chaeto, etc. It will also reduce/slow down the overall flow through your sump. This was a good thing for me, as I probably had too much flow (curse of using return pump as DT circulation), but all of this should be factored into your design.

I came REALLY close to drilling for two additional 3/4” bulkheads when I was setting up my tank for closed-loop circulation... I’m kicking myself now!!

hope that’s somewhat helpful...

I run mine off the manifold and return it to the display via hang on type return plumbing

If it’s that monster you picked up from me, things can get a little tight. Make sure you mount it in a spot that you can get to the end to swap the bulb when needed. I still have one just like it on my 180 Gal. I mounted it upside down on the bottom side of the tank (to the wooden part of the stand that the tank rests on). For the feed pump, I ran it in the same chamber as the main return pump with a hose straight up to the inlet of the UV. The drain side hose from the UV drops straight down to the drain portion of my sump.

You need to open the UV to replace the bulb as needed without having to take the whole thing apart. I run ours off a manifold off main pump and it flows back into the return chamber back up to display. It works like a charm. Super clear water.

If it’s that monster you picked up from me, things can get a little tight. Make sure you mount it in a spot that you can get to the end to swap the bulb when needed. I still have one just like it on my 180 Gal. I mounted it upside down on the bottom side of the tank (to the wooden part of the stand that the tank rests on). For the feed pump, I ran it in the same chamber as the main return pump with a hose straight up to the inlet of the UV. The drain side hose from the UV drops straight down to the drain portion of my sump.

i ran this exactly how you did pump in my main return and drain goes to the drain in my sump. But i had to have that big uv on the outside of my tank. Thing is too big to fit anywhere.

You need to open the UV to replace the bulb as needed without having to take the whole thing apart. I run ours off a manifold off main pump and it flows back into the return chamber back up to display. It works like a charm. Super clear water.

i wish i would had thought of the uv before i did all my piping. Now i got a bunch more pipes just running all around lol

I wish I would have originally designed my setup with UV in mind as well. I would have definitely preferred a closed loop through 2 more bulk heads. There is no way I'd be willing to risk drilling at this point.

Live and learn :) Let's see your setup when it is done, Tony.

We installed ours above the sump horizontally. Put a dedicated adjustable pump in the skimmer section To feed water and the discharge hose into the return pump section. Probably was already said but if you draw and return water from the same section you end up reprocessing the same water over and over again.

Back