UV plumbing method

RonS

Reaction score
Another day, another dumb RonS question :)

if a UV unit has the capacity and dwell time, any reason not to run your return pump through it? Assuming that the flow rate is in the optimal zone for what I’m trying to accomplish, are there any other reasons not to do it this way? It’s totally a potential fail point, I know, but it just makes sense to me to put it all through the UV rather than just a portion. I know you’ll never truly get all of the tank water through, but why use a fraction of you don’t have to?

thanks!

—Ron

if a UV unit has the capacity and dwell time, any reason not to run your return pump through it? Assuming that the flow rate is in the optimal zone for what I’m trying to accomplish, are there any other reasons not to do it this way? It’s totally a potential fail point, I know, but it just makes sense to me to put it all through the UV rather than just a portion. I know you’ll never truly get all of the tank water through, but why use a fraction of you don’t have to?

thanks!

—Ron
What if you want to change your dwell time for algae versus parasites for example? But you have your tank to run too.... that is why you use a manifold off your return to run the UV so that you can adjust your UV as needed in the future and still run proper flow in your reef. Just my opinion :)

Don't base your main life support plumbing around a wearable item . One design change or upgrade and your replumbing your system . Add it in a loop with a valve or on its own pump . I'd go for a controlled pump where you could really slow the dwell time down to where it needs to be without effecting other aspects if flow.

@sharis100 Yes - I thought about that capability. I’m mostly concerned about algae/diatoms, but having the parasite option is a big plus!

@Eric_n_Ga agreed - reliability for such a central part of the system is A huge concern.

I did order a 500gph DC pump to run it. I have a stub out for a return manifold, but I don’t want to run another pipe up to the DT for the output (too ugly for me : ). I intend to run it on a loop in my sump, with the output in the return chamber so it can’t re-cycle.

But, dang - my brain really wants to run all of the return through it! I probably won’t do it that way, but I was wondering if there are folks who do.

thanks for the feedback!!

You could gravity feed it off the overflow . 2 valves , one before for maintenance , one after to adjust flow

I thought about that, but was afraid it might be too restrictive? But I guess with 1 1/2” ports it’s going to flow more than enough!!

Oh! I remember - I wanted the intake to be after the mechanical filtration...

If the UV is sized large enough to handle the flow why not run it all through? You can always plumb it with a bypass for changes down the road. UVs are already limited by only being effective to the water that passes through them, so why limit that further. I run my systems that way whenever possible.

if I don't really care how much flow goes through something (carbon, refugium) - run off the return pump.

If I do care - or need to care (skimmer, UV) - manifold from a separate pump or dedicated pump.

Don't base your main life support plumbing around a wearable item . One design change or upgrade and your replumbing your system . Add it in a loop with a valve or on its own pump . I'd go for a controlled pump where you could really slow the dwell time down to where it needs to be without effecting other aspects if flow.
This is a good idea. We haven’t started our plumbing yet and this UV is almost as long as our cabinet, another adjustable flow pump is a great idea

thanks!

—Ron
Just wondering - why do you plan on using UV? I used it temporarily to battle dinos, but I just used a small feed pump and restricted the flow. Afterwards I removed it and never used it since.

@sharis100 Yes - I thought about that capability. I’m mostly concerned about algae/diatoms, but having the parasite option is a big plus!

@Eric_n_Ga agreed - reliability for such a central part of the system is A huge concern.

I did order a 500gph DC pump to run it. I have a stub out for a return manifold, but I don’t want to run another pipe up to the DT for the output (too ugly for me : ). I intend to run it on a loop in my sump, with the output in the return chamber so it can’t re-cycle.

But, dang - my brain really wants to run all of the return through it! I probably won’t do it that way, but I was wondering if there are folks who do.

thanks for the feedback!!
How many watts are you running?

Back