UV question?

chris619

Market
Reaction score
Do I need a UV...really? I want Tangs and know they are prone to ick and this will fix that. I have heard pros and cons to UV sterilizers n't decide. I do not want sick fish though.

I would recommend it.

Nothing beats good quarentine habits and good nutrition, but UV helps a bit with ich and water clarity.

You can get by without a UV. It's prolly the least vital piece of equipment out there for the success of your tank...

That being said, if you are battling ich issues and can't get a good hold of it... then a strong UV can give your fish a lil breather from the parasites although it won't eliminate them. Good husbandry and choosing the resilient fish will go a long way...

I love my UV! Is it completely necessary...no, but it works for me. My newest addition to my tank, swallowtail angelfish had somehow gotten a nasty case of ich. I took my UV offline and gave it a good cleaning...ich gone after 2 days. I run one of those 40W gammas with about 80gph going thu it. I've never had an issue with ich since putting it on....well except for this most recent time, but I blame a dirty UV for that.

glxtrix;235635 wrote: I run one of those 40W gammas with about 80gph going thu it.

:) There are really only 2 brands for consumers that I really like....Gamma and Emperor Aquatics. The later one being the more expensive..

I have a 25W Gamma from Current with about 60-80gph going through it.

a>

Yeah, the thing to remember is that uv is not primarily for ich control. It is really better described as a device to improve water clarity with limited capability in controlling disease and parasites. Same with ozone, really. Many will say one way or the other on ich control of either method, so it is never 100% sure-fire. The only close to 100% sure thing you will get with UV is noticeably clearer water. Usually. Sometimes.

Well, 90% of the time, it works every time, if you catch my drift.

Oh, and my UV is an AQUA uv, which I think in build quality is far surperior to the gammas, but usually much more expensive. That is unless gamma has corrected their problems over the last few months. We had many of them returned for a manufacturing flaw that burned out the lamp connection, but that may be resolved now.

i have an aqua also with a viper i used it for the first few months i had my tank but i lost the bulb and ballast.

What are the drawbacks on reef tanks anyways, just reduction of potentially beneficial nutrients?

reef1973;236015 wrote: Don't you missed it? LOL I just have to rub it in Lee.

Lee has gone soft.....

Yes its true...he's got softies in his tank!!!! For shame....and still no sand!

I never said they were "good" or "bad" just simply saying it's done no harm to my reef tank. Yeah Rit, I do miss it! Terribly! And Mark is right, I've gone soft now.....so sad. I needed some movement in the tank and needed to be low maintenance....softies is exactly that!

oh come on, give me some credit, I still have my halides and VHO's. I'll rub it in your faces when I get my power bill because I'm only running my halides at 3hrs ;) WOOT WOOT....goooo softies.

man, I feel like a moron saying that, lol.

glxtrix;236040 wrote: oh come on, give me some credit, I still have my halides and VHO's. I'll rub it in your faces when I get my power bill because I'm only running my halides at 3hrs ;) WOOT WOOT....goooo softies.

man, I feel like a moron saying that, lol.

We'll see Lee at the next frag swap with huge Kenya Trees and Xenia frags selling them for $30 a piece!:confused2:

HAHAHAHAHA....we'll see if I can even get it to grow in my tank. Let me know when you have time to drop some off :p

You took about every Kenya Tree I had and we just forgot to get the Xenia off the glass. I can frag you some brown button polyps also if you want some......:D

lol, nah man, I'm all good on those. Yeah the xenia is what I was talking about. The Kenyas look surprisingly nice, lol.

Back