UV works!

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I have been using an 18 watt coralife turbo twist for almost a year. I took it off my tank about a month ago and I can notice more algae growing on the glass. I am convinced UV sterilizers do cut down on green algae. Just thought I would share that with anyone having doubts about UV sterilizers.

how do I add a uv on this nano...i have no lines just hob skimmer and a aqua clear 30 filter...

tnyga;124897 wrote: how do I add a uv on this nano...i have no lines just hob skimmer and a aqua clear 30 filter...

Not sure i can help you on that one. Ive only seen them used in sumps.

And absolutely nothing else changed in the tank since you added the UV? Water changes on exactly the same schedule? Same bioload? Exactly the same amount of feeding?

My point is that just because you're seeing an increase in algae growth doesn't necessarily mean that it's related to the UV light. It'd require a careful experiement to really show that a UV was effective in limiting algae growth...

You would also need quite a UV with a pretty slow rate of flow to kill algae spores. That said, pond UVs are quite effective at limiting algae growth so no reason that I can think of they shouldn't also work in a reef tank.

Back