vacation horror stories

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
so i left to miami on thurs. to go visit my daughter i havent seen since jan. and left my wife in charge of my fish tank ,she really doesnt know how to do much but she does know how to feed them .i have a ato so she didnt have to top it off for me.ok my wife did nothing wrong but now i have hair algea everywere ,why is it that when ever some one goes on vacation all this bs happens ...i cut down the lights and have about 20 gal of water for a water change ...oh yeah not to mention that one of the chromis is going to die soon he is eating but is swimming all weired nere the bottom and when he decides to come out of hiding the other 3 chromis pick on him i want to getr him out so i can qt him back to health but dont want to take down all my rockk work to get to him .....i really hope he pulls threw ...if anyone has 2 or 3 mexican turbos they want to get rid of let me know cause they are pretty good at getting the hair algea out of my tank .thanks and if you have any horror stories feel free to post them .victor

that happended to me also.

i lost a damsel and someone left the blinds open and when i came back the water was cloudy and the glass was covered in brown alage and that is when i grew some cyano because i missed a water change by 3 days. i did almost a 50 percent chagne.

Um ya. I had it nuke a 20G tank I had up for 5 years onece with a huge 12" RBTA and a spawning pair of clarkii's along with some other awesome SPS. Had a double float valve failure on a kent float valve and dumped 20G of freshwater with kalk into the 20G tank!!! No pretty when i got home.

Having said that I have left my tank alone literally dozens of times with only someone coming over once every coupe days to feed since then with no issues!

This was years ago... I had a 55 gallon freshwater heavily planted semiaggresive South and Central American cichlid tank. How's that for a tank description? It was running enough filtration for a 300 gallon tank and was being feed NLS Cichlid Formula. There were only a handful of fish in the tank at the time in this 6 year established tank.

I left for Hilton Head with a group of friends for a week. I came home to a completly white tank. This had to be the single worst bacterial bloom I have ever seen. My sister, 16 at the time, dumped enough pellets in the tank to cover pretty much the entire bottom. It was a complete loss, as I broke the center brace on the tank while cleaning it out.

At least I still had my 75g African Cichlid tank and 2 20L cichlid breeding/growout tanks to play with.

I had a 55GAL FOWLR that a friend took care of while I was on vacation. He accidently turned off the filtration pump for 2 days. I came back at 11PM to find that my Sailfin Tang, Niger Trigger, Undulated Trigger, Royal Gamma, Zebra Goby and a True Percula were all dead. Only my PP Puffer and a false percula and one true percula survived. Not a great way to come back from vacation!

The worst that I've experienced was about 4 months ago I came back from vacation, and one small RBTA and my large LTA (>12") were missing. Still don't know what happened to them. But if that's the worst I've had happen, I guess I've been lucky.

Came back from NY to a 75 gallon fish tank smelling the whole house to find all the fish dead.

Back