Velcro in sump?

smallblock

Market
Reaction score
Would it be safe to use a few pieces of velcro in my sump, I would be using to secure and reduce noise on the bottom of my mag pumps. Seems like the mag float is using it on the scrubbing side. Whats your thoughts?

use some dabs of silicone on the pump feet, but I wouldn't put anything untested in a tank...

I carry media bags with velcro closures. Mind you, these aren't adhesive (they are sewn into the bag proper)... so I don't think the velcro itself would be a problem, but if you're using the sort that tapes down, that could be an issue.

Jenn

yeah the adhesive is what I'm more concerend about, I wonder if there is a reef safe kind hmmmmmm

Smallblock;532488 wrote: yeah the adhesive is what I'm more concerend about, I wonder if there is a reef safe kind hmmmmmm

I think it's called silicone...:lol2:

Why not get some rubber matting from a hobby store?

I don't have this problem yet, but i read wrapping the pump with airline tubing might work.

Smallblock;532506 wrote: hardy har har, I want to keep one still that kinda walks around
I've told you already, get the little rubber 'feet' and put on the bottom of it.

oh wow never thought of that one thanks misu, nice meeting you btw 135 looks great

misu;532517 wrote: how about the non skid drawer liner?

I was just looking at some of that last night contemplating buying some. It comes in 18"x5' rolls here...seems a waste just for a 4"x6" piece, lol.

I think you can get pretty small pieces at wall mart, then they have some cut in squares and sell as jar openers

Rubber mouse pad works also.

Too bad you're so far away, I think I have one of those pieces of rubber (with adhesive...hmmm) that come with the larger Mag pumps hanging around in my junk drawer.

Jenn

Smallblock;532524 wrote: I think you can get pretty small pieces at wall mart, then they have some cut in squares and sell as jar openers

Yeah, but I'm only looking at $5 for the whole roll of the drawer padding, so I'm not gonna pay $1 for a little square, lol.

I'm about to redo some plumbing, so maybe I'll just suck it up and buy a roll, and put the rest in drawers or something...

I'll happily cut you a 1'x18" piece for $1 to be picked up at the meeting (5'x18" roll is $5, so it seems fair, lol).

I'll probably add a few dabs of silicone at the corners to hold it to the bottom of the pump.

thanks man, I think i have some extra from when i lined my toolbox, but thanks for the offer, I may still try this velcro not sure yet

Dude, I second that the velcro is good to go but the adhesive is a concern. Maybe you take 4 or more small pieces of airline tubing and wrap them into little circles, joining the ends. Then you could use them as feet. I guess they would absorb the vibration. You could use a very small amount of super glue to attach them to the pump, which could easily be removed with a blade.

Back