Vertex Omega 130 vs Reef Oct. Prime 150

regaltang

Market
Reaction score
any one own any of these skimmers trying to decide on a Vertex Omega 130 or Reef Octopus Prime 150 which is the better skimmer.. or are there any other brands that is better? This is going on a 75 gal well stock reef with a 15 gal sump..any suggestions

I don't own either. Vertex makes some good skimmers but I've heard the 130 is notoriously difficult to dial in and remain consistent. I have the Omega 150 on my 90g and it's a fantastic skimmer.

I don't own either. But a quick Google search and brs reviews show that the 130 is difficult to set up and has had some noise and performance issues and the 150 is pretty much all positive minus the extra price difference. I have owned several reef octopus skimmers and they are descent skimmers but I have never been satisfied in the performance besides my old Diablo.

regaltang;1036530 wrote: anything wrong with the 130? i

Early on there were some issues with it. That was a while ago, though, and they could have been resolved. The Vertex 150 is and has been a solid performer. Great skimmer and not much more than the 130. If you don't have the space, then go with the 130. Otherwise, Vertex 150 is the way to go.

tl;dr: Vertex > reef octopus & omega 150 > omega 130.

is the 130 and 150 using the same pump? and how does the 150 fair against lets say octopus sro 100 or nw150

allot of people make it sound like the 130 give you a ton of trouble and the 150 doesn't it that the case?

I went from a RO SRO2000 to the Omega 150. Everything about the Omega is better. Better quality, better skimming, more consistent, less noise. The build quality alone of the Omega vs the RO is night and day, the Omega is built like a tank, nice sturdy pieces and much easier to take apart and clean.

ok one up on the 150 now trying to see for a 75 gal with 15 gal sump where the 130 is $80 less what would be the better buy long term

regaltang;1036649 wrote: is the 130 and 150 using the same pump? and how does the 150 fair against lets say octopus sro 100 or nw150

Vertex is far superior. Better quality everything.

Back