Vertex Omega users

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking to get some personal input from users of Vertex Omega skimmers. I'm thinking of ditching my Reef Octopus SRO2000 int for a Vertex Omega 180i. I need to get a smaller sump and the 180i has a much more compact footprint. It says it's rated for 92-182g tanks, would it be overkill on a 90g?

I've read they can be touchy and require a lot of adjusting.

I was on the fence myself, deciding between the Omega 150 and 180i. In the end, I decided to go with the Omega 150 for my 100g build. I have been seeing a lot of people discussing how they went with a larger skimmer and have had trouble keeping a consistent foam head. Reason that I decided to get rid of my Bubble King SM 200. I imagine it really comes down to the bio load, and what your plans are for the stocking level of your tank. I would like to think that my tank will end up being heavily stocked, but in all reality, it will probably not be.

IDK, I am hoping that I do not regret getting the 150.

Bulk reef def. has a good deal on both right now.

Yeah BRS has really gotten me thinking. The SRO2000 does a good job but it does have consistency issues since I do have a light bioload. The 150 is too big for my sump and I'm trying to go smaller.

Yeah, I know that people have said the 150 is pretty consistent once dialed in, that was what really made my mind up on it. But I do understand having to get a smaller footprint. The 180i looks to have an adjustable volute, so you might be able to fine tune it to the needs of your tank. I just did not want to chance it since the 150 seems to have done so well for so many and will fit my sump. Good luck with the search, I know that it was frustrating for me.

I have the 150..... I think. I'll have to double check. It is a touchy skimmer and takes a good bit of time to dial it in. It would over flow whenever I do a water change and replace my filter socks. Other then that, it works great when it does work. If I had to do it all over again, I think I'll still get the same skimmer.

I can tell you that the 150 is a very good skimmer (great build quality and skimmate) once dialed in but finicky and I found myself adjusting it constantly. Wasn't a set it and forget it skimmer for me, but I know others have had different experiences.

HiImSean;998256 wrote: Looking to get some personal input from users of Vertex Omega skimmers. I'm thinking of ditching my Reef Octopus SRO2000 int for a Vertex Omega 180i. I need to get a smaller sump and the 180i has a much more compact footprint. It says it's rated for 92-182g tanks, would it be overkill on a 90g?

I've read they can be touchy and require a lot of adjusting.

I like the RO 1000SSS for that volume and a reasonable price point if sump size is a restriction. I ran one for awhile with good results (it's now overkill on my 30g and somehow fits in a 12g sump).
Have a bk mini 160 on my 90 now. Seen those go used for $400-500, not too much more than an RO.

I was just eying things that are having a good Black Friday, the Omega 180i is like $320, less for the 150($250) and 130($199).

It's a good skimmer. It takes a while to break in, but after that is pretty consistent. I'd go with one any day over an octopus skimmer.

Grant,

I apologize to not responding to your message sooner...

I love my 150 Omega. Yes it's true, it does take a while to break in. However, once you get it dialed in, the skimmer is a BEAST! Its does a great job at wet skimming or dry skimming. I will say it is a little finicky to dial in. With that being said, I have no regrets purchasing one.

So what is the true footprint of the 150? I see 9x12 and sometimes 11x11.

Here's mine. It's a 150 and that's 1 day of skimming. I'm skimming on the wet side right now since I've had my skimmer off for a little over a week because I was too lazy to clean it. :D

You can clearly see the foot print is more rectangle then square so I'd say for like 9x12. I'm not going to stick a tape measure in salt water so I'm just eye balling it.

As I said before along with others. When it works, it works well.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
998405=57693-uploadfromtaptalk1416876658899.jpg
>
998405=57693-uploadfromtaptalk1416876658899.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1416876658899.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
998405=57694-uploadfromtaptalk1416876675562.jpg
>
998405=57694-uploadfromtaptalk1416876675562.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1416876675562.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Well I pulled the trigger on the 150. For $250 you can't really go wrong.

How deep are you guys running yours?

I'm running my at 9". I'm using a trigger system sump, so I had to build a small egg crate stand to the height I wanted to operate it at.

tonymission;998273 wrote: I like the RO 1000SSS for that volume and a reasonable price point if sump size is a restriction. I ran one for awhile with good results (it's now overkill on my 30g and somehow fits in a 12g sump).
Have a bk mini 160 on my 90 now. Seen those go used for $400-500, not too much more than an RO.

I have the 1000SSS on my 90 and I love it. Very good skim mate and I almost never need to fiddle with it. I also recommend it for small foot print. Thus super space saver

I bought the 180i on sale and wow is it huge. I'm planning for it to go in a 55 sump but may have to reconsider if I can't get it out from under the stand. Really impressed with the boxing very iphoneish and just the quality feel of the materials. Hope it works as good as it looks.

I just unbox the 150 today and it looks great. I love the screw on collection cup. I probably won't do anything with it until after New Years.

Back