Vertex or Octopus skimmer for 135?

atcaw94

Market
Reaction score
I've pretty much narrowed it down to the new Vertex Gen 3 IN180 or the Reef Octopus Extreme SX200. I was originally going to go with the RO, but I keep finding conflicting footprint specs. The Vertex has a smaller footprint and is $30 less expensive. To fit the RO I'd have to pull out baffles, and that's a PITA when you can't get the sump out of the stand.:sad: The tank is 135 and the sump is a 40.

Vertex specs:
<span style="color: navy;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">IN-180</span></span> <span style="color: navy;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"> 13.5" x 11"</span></span> <span style="color: navy;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"> 24"</span></span> <span style="color: navy;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"> 8" </span></span> <span style="color: #000080;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">720lph @ 32w</span></span> <span style="color: navy;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"> 100-180 Gallons</span></span>
One site list the RO 200 as:
Dimensions: 8.5" x 13.5" x 21.75

Whereas on Coralvue's site:
15&#8243; x 9.4&#8243; x 23&#8243; Height without the cup is 15.5&#8243; Rated up to 200gal.

Thanks
DJ

Well, Coralvue got back to me quick.<span style="color: black"><span>The new dimensions for the Extreme XS200 is 15&#8221;x 9.4&#8221;x23. So I guess my next question is, a sump question. What effect would it have to remove 2 of the 3 baffles/bubbletraps? I would just have one short divider between the skimmer section and the return section, would that suffice?
</span></span>

You'd lose most of your prevention against bubbles. Just my opinion, but having to take baffles out to run the Octo would make me buy the Vertex.

I just read some reviews on the Aquamaxx that seemed really good and it has a smaller footprint than the Vertex. Has anyone used one of these?

Back