VHO lighting

If you are looking for a fixture, I would rather go with t5. They are more compact thus more wattages.

purpleGORILLA;154211 wrote: If you are looking for a fixture, I would rather go with t5. They are more compact thus more wattages.

actinic glow doesn't compare between the two. VHO actinics are just ridiculous...

i guess the question is, what's the application? actinic supplementation? is it going to be the main source of light?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamilton-4-x-36-VHO-Aquarium-Light-Hood_W0QQitemZ7771402259QQihZ019QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store">http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamilton-4-x-36-VHO-Aquarium-Light-Hood_W0QQitemZ7771402259QQihZ019QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store</a>

i hate ebay but i can't find one with a major supplier anywhere. i'm actually surprised that marine depot doesn't carry VHO fixtures...

I have a nova extreme right now on a tank with a foot print of 12x36 I may be upgrading to a tank that is 18x36. I was hoping to keep the nova extreme and add some thing else to get a little more par at the bottom of the tank. It is 24" tall. I like the VHO because they are 95w for a 36" bulb where the T5s are only 39w. I was really just looking for a 2 bulb fixture to put next to what I have. I was thinking about running 12000Ks in it.

Yeah I agree. VHO's rock! Plus you're not using them for PAR, it's for color pop. The T5's can be used for PAR, but thats a different type of bulb and not a true actinic look.

ckwatson;154416 wrote: I have a nova extreme right now on a tank with a foot print of 12x36 I may be upgrading to a tank that is 18x36. I was hoping to keep the nova extreme and add some thing else to get a little more par at the bottom of the tank. It is 24" tall. I like the VHO because they are 95w for a 36" bulb where the T5s are only 39w. I was really just looking for a 2 bulb fixture to put next to what I have. I was thinking about running 12000Ks in it.

wattage doesn't really apply to PAR. bulb/ballast combo efficiency is a better indicator of PAR.

if you're looking to add for more PAR, i'd recommend T5s. Giessmann's aquablue+ has a nice white color.

I am not looking for more actinic I am looking for PAR. Will the VHOs not give me more PAR than T5s? Or would I be best to run 4 12k or 10k (maybe a mix) in the nova extreme and just get VHO actinics? I just need some more light at the bottom of the tank

If you are looking at more PAR go with the T5's, especially overdriven with a Icecap 660. From what I have been told they really pack a punch.

Yeah I have the aquablue+ in right now and 2 460nm actinics. I do like the giessmann bulbs

for serious PAR use a 3 or 6K T5...and yes the T5's will give more PAR than the VHO's. Just make sure your T5's have individual reflectors or you're wasting your time.

Back