Vortech MP40W (GEN 2) dry side very loud noise

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
One of my Vortech dropped in the water when I moved old tank 7 months ago. I picked up and cleaned it right away. The pump ran very loud a few of seconds and stopped and blinked red and white. This MP40W was already out of warranty so I put away in the closet. This weekend I got it out and tested again. It runs (no more errors) but the dry side is really loud. I pulled the wet side off and held the dry side and could still hear very loud noise. So, I pulled the magnet off the pump to check and clean up everything... still hear very loud noise.

I just searched for a solution and came cross Dave (Acroholic)'s thread: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50771">Vortech MP40 Pump Bearing Replacement DIY-With Pictures</a>

I think I'd give a try before send it to Vortech for service or buy new dry side. What do you think?

thank you,

Never hurts to pull apart and see what's going on. The bearings most likely have some corrosion from the saltwater. Eventually I want to redo all 4 of mine....we should have a vortech bearing replacement party :party:

glxtrix;890925 wrote: Never hurts to pull apart and see what's going on. The bearings most likely have some corrosion from the saltwater. Eventually I want to redo all 4 of mine....we should have a vortech bearing replacement party :party:

I have 3. I'd love to go for it. Let me know

Well, I'd have to order some parts and find someone with the know how and proper tools...ahem...Dave.... Hehehehe.

I did the bearings replacement on the MP10 myself because it was some loud, but I still have that dry side with me, because I finally end up getting a newer dry side for that pump that I had sold already, I will recomend that if you want to try yourself on replacing the bearings get a extractor like I did, I even can borrow to you the tool, and get good brand bearings or you will probably end up having about the same noise from new installed bearings, or in the other case, don't get through all of this and contact the manufacturer, you may can get a discount on a new one, but I believe they could blame on the cause of the noise (water penetration instead of just an old dry side) good luck and let me know if you need help
( I believe mp10 and mp40 is just about the same process
showthread.php

Sounds like you have bad bearings. There is a thread about MP10 bearing on the ARC replacement about using a bearing extractor like these from Harbor Freight. I don't know if these would work on the MP40 bearings, probably a function of size of the puller if they would work. The MP40 doesn't have large bearings, but something like this may be at Pep Boys as well.

I didn't even know these existed when I did my bearing replacement, so I just used what I had and improvised.

The bearing removal is the hardest/most critical part of the process, IME. Most folks have issues tearing up the magnets on the shaft trying to use pliers to remove the bearings.

Extractor from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/4-piece-three-jaw-puller-set-69104.html">http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/4-piece-three-jaw-puller-set-69104.html</a>

Edit: Antonio beat me to it, hehehe! He's the one that used the extractor.

But you can use the bearing sizes from my original thread as an ordering guide for replacements for the MP40s. Don't get any ceramic bearings, as they make more noise that the standard metal shielded ones.

I like this YouTube Video
<div class="gc_ifarem_title">MP40 Bearing - YouTube</div>

Thank you Dave!
I would like to be better that the guy on youtube could have it tested and let it hear the improvement, hehehe! :)

Back