Vortech Pumps

patrick214

Market
Reaction score
I think we finally decided to go for two Vortech pumps. Do i need to buy two of the new MP-40w that are 419.99 with the wireless controller or just one of those and one MP-40? I am confused, if i order two MP-40w's will i get two wireless controllers? also i dont wanna order a second pump that is not already compatible with the controller....

we were gonna order them but the websites that have them have no customer support today. and ecotech is closed as well.....i am starting to get frustrated i have googled and i find nothing regarding this issue online....

i know what you mean. it took me about a week to get some info on an open brain. maybe you can try calling one of our sponsors and asking them.

do you know any one of these online retailers that have customer support on sundays?

patrick not to change your minde but have you thought about getting tunze i know they are alot bigger than the vortech but you cant position a vortech at an angle like tunze seems to me they are a bit over priced and you cant even get them at an angle you might need it at .this is just my opinion but good luck in your search

yes i have thought in-depth actually..... just curios what benefit do you really gain from being able to point them and how often do you get in there and do that? Tunze's just look enormous to me in the tank......Do you have any experience with the vortech's? and why do you think they are overpriced? are they not inline with Tunze's as far as quality of flow and variability under the controller?

well i tried most of the stores and none of them are open or know anything about them.

Patrick214;89933 wrote: yes i have thought in-depth actually..... just curios what benefit do you really gain from being able to point them and how often do you get in there and do that? Tunze's just look enormous to me in the tank......Do you have any experience with the vortech's? and why do you think they are overpriced? are they not inline with Tunze's as far as quality of flow and variability under the controller?
i have had neither and just like you say the tunze is big that is the disadvantage in it as not being able to position the vortech is its default .but this is only my opinion i personally would get the tunzes just because i have heard alot of great reviews from members .some bad as well but the good over way the bad i havent heard to much about the vortechs but i bet they are very well crafted just for me i rather not get something that isnt as flexable to use as the big tunze:) and they are less money heck i have koralias in my tank cause i just cant afford tunzes at this moment ...another option is to go with the new nano streams they make a model now that can be used with the controller ask sam from aquabuys he has two and he loves them.and they are alot smaller than the reguale streams ...good luck and happy reefing

be careful with them if you cannot position them at the angle you want. i used to have to tunze streams(6060 and 6080) which you could swivel side to side, but you could not adjust the flow at a downward or upward angle. because of this i was limited with the type of flow patterns i could create in my tank. i recently sold the streams for nano streams which can be positioned at just about any angle. for my application this was a big plus so that i could get flow just where i wanted it. just my 2 cents, but worth thinking about...

I'm prolly one of the only two people around here that are qualified to answer this with personal experience...

I have two vortechs on my tank right now.

I used to have tunzes... Before that I tried maxijet mods. I had been planning on using a closed loop, but that never panned out and so I went with the vortechs and so far love what I see.

The vortechs don't need a controller, as they talk to each other wirelessly. They provide flow and can create an actual wave in your tank. So it gives you the flow of tunze powerheads and the wave action of a tunze wavebox.

Very lil heat added to your system as the motors are outside of the tank. As for directional flow, you don't need to direct the vortechs. They have a MUCH MUCH wider flow than any tunze I've tried. I actually wish the flow pattern wasn't so wide!

To answer your question though, you will need two mp40w. They will communicate with each other and synchronize their wave patterns. One will be the master and the other the slave. You can set the slave to mirror the master or to do the opposite of the master. Frequency of the pulses is also controllable as you can adjust the range of flow from 100 gph to 3000 gph. The flow will ramp up and down as much as you like and as fast as you like. You can tune it to your tank's frequency and as such get a lil wave action going. There are various different set patterns you can choose from as well...

All in all a very interesting pump. I wouldn't say they are "better" than tunzes, they simply provide a different type of flow pattern with some advantages over tunzes and some disadvantages in comparison as well.

Here's a short video clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A">http://youtube.com/watch?v=rLPmea2II-A</a>

Just skip to the latter part of the video to see the wave :).

Wow, thanks very informative. I just love the idea of having battery backup to keep my tank oxygenated in case of power failure as well as the cool compact design. The only question in my mind was how it would compare to the Tunze in durability since they are legendary for their long lifespans. I think if i find the necessity to have strong flow directed towards some specific spot than i can use a maximod i have lying around.. Can you program the pumps to cycle through different settings like the reef crest than anti-synch or synch pulse or is it best to chose an ideal flow for your biotype and leave it there?

Patrick,

I have a vortech for my 58 gallon. I would get one with the wireless controller. That will be the first item on my Christmas list. As Victor said the only down side is that you cant "aim" them in the tank. But these have such a wide spread anyway, I don't think it matters.

I beleive most online shops are closed on Sunday. I've had very good experiences with mine and Ecotech and Icecap have been very responsive to my questions. I bought mine throught aquarium specialty. Scott is a great guy. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com">www.aquariumspecialty.com</a>

Okay the only kicker is I would guess most of the new controllers are sold out right now.

Back