Want opinions

redstang

Market
Reaction score
And I know everyone has one!

I'm going to go with a basement sump for my 135 build. This means that size isn't much of an issue as the room directly below the tank is a storage room. I'm considering building my own acrylic sump. Doesn't have to be pretty, just can't leak. Right thing to do or would it be better to just pick up a used 50-90gal tank and put some glass partitions in it?

Any pointers on building a sump such as local acrylic providers and type pf acrylic to get? Should I go glass? I have a cousin that owns a glass shop in Rockmart, maybe he could hook me up. Acrylic "looked" easier though.

Other ideas?

Thanks!

why not use one of those rubbermade stock tank for you skimmer/return/lots of live rock. Then plumb another tank of your choosing for the refugium and I would call it a day.

Kirru;758528 wrote: why not use one of those rubbermade stock tank for you skimmer/return/lots of live rock. Then plumb another tank of your choosing for the refugium and I would call it a day.

Thought about that but wasn't sure if it was possible to partition those out. Or do I even need to? Just keep the water level at the right height for the skimmer? I thought about putting a smaller stock tank for the refugium above the large stock tank and having one of the drains go to it and have it gravity drain to the large stock tank. The other two drains would go to the large stock tank.

Make sense?

Yea, You want it gravity fed so less electricity use. At least thats is what I make of it. Should work.

In fact, I might try and see if I can't make some thing like this fit in to my stand :)

I'm with you on the stock tank, they seem hard to partition out with the different angles. I used a glass 40 gallon breeder for my sump. I wanted to be able to install baffles to prevent bubbles from getting back into the diplay tank. I cracked two tanks trying to install the plumbing. Changed my mind about how I wanted to do things and had to cut some pipe and cracked it around the bulkhead twice. I highly recommend acrylic.

I do have a refugium that sits above my sump. I just made a manifold off my return pump to feed it.

If you are going with a basement sump, you will want to use either the Herbie method of the Bean Method. The two are basically the same. The Bean requires another hole, but provides an extra measure of safety. I've used just a Durso before on a regular tank and while it reduces the noise signficantly, the drop to a basement sump is only going to amplify it. I used the Herbie method and hear nothing other than the water trickling into the overflow.

You're welcome to come see my setup in action.

Stocktanks have too much surface area compared to volume - their evaporation is ungodly.
And humid + basement = mold...

LilRobb;758551 wrote: Stocktanks have too much surface area compared to volume - their evaporation is ungodly.
And humid + basement = mold...

+1

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I would get a 75 or a 90 put some baffles. Tee off one of the drains and go to the fudge and gravity feed the overflow to the sump. Or all in one. If you do a remote fudge then you can have more micro algae and more LR in the sump and plenty of room for peripherals</span></span>

eagle9252;758598 wrote: +1

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I would get a 75 or a 90 put some baffles. Tee off one of the drains and go to the fudge and gravity feed the overflow to the sump. Or all in one. If you do a remote fudge then you can have more micro algae and more LR in the sump and plenty of room for peripherals</span></span>
So something like a 40gal for the fuge and a 50-75 for the sump?

I agree with not going with a stock tank. Lots of headaches in the build end as well as the evaporation issues. I also, would try to stick to something factory built for the main vessel. Acrylic is pretty easy to work with but can be a bear to ensure a good seal at the seams. I may try one day but after doing a couple of acrylic projects, I would want to practice a lot more before I trusted my seams.

It is a lot easier to find a glass tank in standard sizes than it is acrylic. The baffles will hold better to a glass tank if you use glass but it can be done with acrylic. In a few weeks I may have my 45 display and a 20 sump ready to go up on the market. You could easily turn the 45 into a sump and the 20 into a fuge.

that could work. here is something quick. do a bean animal drain. I have taken down my 75DT and 36sump.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
758613=36580-quick sump fudge.jpg
>
758613=36580-quick sump fudge.jpg
class="gc-images" title="quick sump fudge.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Eagle, that's what I was thinking of doing if I went with stock tanks. Though I'd have a backup overflow from the fuge to the sump. I guess the appeal of acrylic to me is just having it all in one and setup exactly how I'd like it. Buying some used glass tanks would be far simpler though.

LilRobb, thanks for the tip about evap with stock tanks. I hadn't thought of that but it absolutely would be a concern long term. I'll take that into account with any sump I build. Basically, deeper to gain volume would be preferred to wider. Which leads me back to leaning towards using two separate tanks for the fuge and sump.

I do plan on using the Bean drain system. There's an air return that will sit directly under the stand. I plan on "modifying" it to allow for the drains and return to utilize that opening and drop straight down into the basement with maybe two 45 bends.

I have no experience with the Herbie stile but so far in the trial runs I have done on my 125 I am loving the Bean Animal. Takes a bit to dial in but otherwise it is quiet as a church mouse. :)

rdnelson99;758631 wrote: Takes a bit to dial in but otherwise it is quiet as a church mouse. :)

Thanks for the feed back. That's the overwhelming response to my investigation into an overflow system. I've read many who say the emergency drain is a waste but I'm a firm believer in redundancy. No doubt I'll go with the Bean system.

Just need to figure out what to do with the two holes that are already drilled in the bottom of the tank. I've thought of just using them to run a UV system. Considered a CL as well but think I'll go the MP40 route. Suppose I could go CL first and add MP40's later as well. Decisions......

If you dont have any size restrictions... why not go bigger on your sump?!

I bought a 135 gallon glass tank (that has really made the rounds here apparently... Raj... Robb... me) and its been great.

Unless you're a pro at acrylic... I'd leave it to em. I've read a lot of DIYs on other build threads and a few pages later you can read about leaks or a tank that burst.

I would go with a stock non drilled tank and drill it for an external pump and protein skimmer.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am leaning towards just going with a couple tanks using one as a fuge and the other for the skimmer. Am planning on going with an external pump as well. Anything else I'm forgetting sump wise?

Oh, for the returns is the consensus to run one return to the sump and the other to the fuge or should I tee off the return and direct that to the fuge with all returns running to the sump?

emergency drain is a waste

not... you will use it everytime you restart the system. after about 30 seconds it's done until the next restart but it's there if you need it.

I wonder... have all the people suggesting he build a custom acrylic... ever built one themselves? You mess up anywhere along the way and its a disaster waiting to happen.

Back