Want to upgrade skimmer

mkinna1

Market
Reaction score
I have a 125g reef tank with not a whole lot of occupants besides corals. I want a better skimmer! I have an old berlin and just was wondering what you guys thought would be an effective but wont kill the pocket skimmer.

For around 300 bucks you can get a das ex1 i have one and love it works greet a couple of us on the forums own one and we are all happy with them Or you can go with the ex2 model for 500

I'm with Seedless, if it aint broke, dont fix it. But you'll find HOB Prizms and Aqua Cs to do well.

I used a Lee's counter current for the longest, each time I upgraded, I don't think one did a better job than the other, but each upgrade brought me less and less constant adjustment.

Ugrading a little bit would be a convienance to you, but not neccesarily any better for your tank.

there are some blem euroreefs on their website that you can buy they are like 150 dollars, or you can pm sal(horseziggy) and see what he has.

it does not pull much at all and i do want to add more fish but the skimmer will not keep the nitrates down it is not the original pump that was on it and maybe its just not getting the job done? It makes tons of bubbles but no foam?

Depends on the room you have to work with and the money you have to spend. Does it have to be internal or can it be external? What size footprint can you squeeze in the space you have to work with =)

I am about to build a new sump for the tank so size is not to much of an issue i think there is a guy on the forums that has an aqua C for sale i might have to check it out.

I would pass. coming from someone who has owned the 180 and 240 model. Too touchy..and it also is just an old design. Takes a rather large pump to run at maximum efficiency and not worth the power bill or the heat. It was also one of if not THE loudest skimmers i have ever owned. I think an ASM G3, DAS ( i have owned a couple of these and hated both ...some people seem to like them tho), octopus, or euroreef. Needlewheel skimmers are just more efficient and just skim better.

the recommended pump for my aqua c 180 was a mag 7 i believe. after much experimenting i settled on a mag 12 because it was cheaper then a blueline. A mag 12 worked the best on the aqua c considering the other smaller pumps i used...and still it was really finicky and just didnt skim well. I replaced that with an asm g3 (the first of many asm i have owned) and could not have been happier. Set it and forget it. Efficient skimmers. Doesnt add alot of heat to the water. =)

mkinna1;95450 wrote: Its a rio 2100 pushing the berlin not enough juice?

I am sorry...but the berlin is a pile.....there i said it. /phew

Dakota9;95085 wrote: I'm with Seedless, if it aint broke, dont fix it. But you'll find HOB Prizms and Aqua Cs to do well.

I used a Lee's counter current for the longest, each time I upgraded, I don't think one did a better job than the other, but each upgrade brought me less and less constant adjustment.

Ugrading a little bit would be a convienance to you, but not neccesarily any better for your tank.

I could not disagree more with everything said here heh. But to be fair to Dakota i am a self proclaimed protein skimmer snob. I have spent way to much money and owned way too many protein skimmers hehe...one thing i try to say in each of these skimmer threads is that people should remember a skimmer does more then remove organics from the tank it also creates the majority of the gas exchange in a reef tank which is a very good thing =)

Yes i realize this is 4 posts in a row but im bored at work =)

I have a Berlin, I have to clean it once a week to keep it clean but, it skims mud. That nasty,rancid thick sludge, but pulling it out every sunday has got me looking elsewere also

DrNecropolis;95488 wrote: I have a Berlin, I have to clean it once a week to keep it clean but, it skims mud. That nasty,rancid thick sludge, but pulling it out every sunday has got me looking elsewere also

'kay. I'm a bit new to this, but isn't pulling that nasty, rancid, thick sludge exactly what a skimmer is supposed to do?

My Euro-Reef RS-180 works like a champ and I clean it every few days--at least once a week. You could add a canister to hold more of the sludge, but I can't imagine what that'd smell like after a while!

-George

I am not a big fan of the Berlin Skimmers personally. If you are looking for a good skimmer, the ones listed above (DAS, Octopus, Orca) are great picks. The EX1 might be a bit small for a 125g setup depeding on load. You can also add a TurboFloter if the load isn't too high as well. Whoever recommended the Prizm is crazy. That skimmer is universally known as a POS. EuroReef if you can get a REALLY good deal. IMO it is overpriced for what it delivers new anyway. However, there are deals from time to time on them that make them a great affordable choice.

Yeah its doing as its supposed to do, but clogging up that fast? I dunno maybe I have the only good Berlin..just a pain in the arse to clean the venturi and skimmer body every 5 or so days. I shouldn't complain, atleast it skims good before clogging up.

DrNecropolis;95550 wrote: Yeah its doing as its supposed to do, but clogging up that fast? I dunno maybe I have the only good Berlin..just a pain in the arse to clean the venturi and skimmer body every 5 or so days. I shouldn't complain, atleast it skims good before clogging up.

Sorry--I misunderstood. I empty and clean the collector cup frequently, but haven't had a clog, or need to clean the skimmer body other than the recommended monthly cleaning...but I don't have a Berlin, so I'll shut up! :blush:

well it sounds like the euroreef is a good pick anyone have one for sale i looked a little bit in between classes and they are a little cheaper on marinedepot than the other big sites and the blems on the euro reef site are to small and ideas on where to look?? I am new to this forum thing but all you guys sure are a lot of help Thanks!!

Euroreef CS6-2+ skimmer for sale on another forum will this get the job done?

Back