Wanted: (Needed!) Rotifers

flipturn88

Market
Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time no talk! I've been away at my college this summer, doing research in the neuroscience department, which involves fish (of course) and the effects of pesticides on neural development.

I came home for a week-long visit last Sat night, and naturally my first priority was to check on my tank, which houses a pair of Onyx clowns in a Rose anemone--or actually two, since just it split. But in any case, I noticed they had spawned, which had always been my dream, as I had always wanted to raise the fry. However, I'm not sure exactly how old the eggs are, as my parents didn't notice them; the anemones cover the eggs during the day, and I checked the tank via flashlight at night. But I NEED rotifers ASAP, as based on my knowledge of their development ,the eggs look ready to hatch any day now, and even if I order rotifers and microalgae online today, they won't be ready to be fed to the fry in the next few days at least.

So my question is this: does anyone culture rotifers, have an old kit for culturing, know anyone (including LFSs) who does, or can think of any other source for rotifers (and their food--greenwater--or the like)? I would sincerely appreciate the help, and I'm willing to trade/pay for the huge help.

Much thanks,
Kayla

Einstein's aquatics carries roti-feast :

http://www.reefnutrition.com/rotifeast/index.htm">http://www.reefnutrition.com/rotifeast/index.htm</a>

Check the sponsors forum for directions. I'm pretty sure he has some in stock right now. It's not too far a drive from you.

BTW, great photos!

thanks for the help, but I'm pretty sure I'd need live rotifers (?) as most fry won't eat dead off the bat.

Flipturn88;194173 wrote: oh, and thanks for the photo compliments - yours are pretty awesome as well!

Thanks!

I don't know about the live thing, hopefully someone else can help. But if you can't find anything else it might be worth a try. Call Chris at Einstein's and he might know.

Kayla,
I have very green water. I ordered a plate and started from scratch and am only on the 3rd generation. I have to be out of town this week and will not be back until Thursday.

I have frozen rotifer eggs but haven't tried to raise them yet. I have had them for a couple of months so not sure how good they are. According to the web site they are suppose to be good for a year.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning on getting they frye out? If your clowns are spawning regularly, it'll only be a couple of weeks before they have another batch. You may be better served getting your setup ready and waiting for the next round. Then you could put someting in there for them to lay the eggs on, making it easier to get them out.

Barbara, thanks for the tips. The eggs were orange when I first saw them (at night), but now they've darkened a bit, so it seems like I should have a few days before they hatch. If they do hatch and I'm not ready, however, I will just wait till a future spawning to raise the fry.

Rawn, the eggs should still be good, as you froze them. I am trying to get in contact with someone I found on ebay who lives in Lilburn and apparently sells live roti cultures; if I could drive over there and buy them direct, that would be perfect.

Jamie, some people advise to leave the eggs in the tank, as the male keeps them oxygenated by rubbing against them. Others say to take them out because it's easier than to wait/catch them when the hatch, but since the eggs are attached to my LR, I have to opt with the former this time. The eggs hatch within the first two hours of the lights going out, so my plan is to turn off the pumps (when the eggs look ready) and wait; then the fry can be scooped up and transferred into the raising tank.

I tought there was someone that posted awhile back that was in Cumming that had rortifiers. I will try and find post.

Is this the first spawn from the pair? I have found the viabilty of eggs from the first spawn is quite bad. They will do it again in like 20 days, so dont fret. Rather than run around like a chicken with its head cut off, I would suggest just getting prpeared. You will have MANY subsequent spawns.

Paumat14, posted back in April he had live Rotifiers. His last posts were in April.

I agree with Jer and Jamie that it would be best to be patient and setup your culturing system the right way. G'luck.

Check with this guy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-ROTIFERS-coral-copepods-fry-food-w-Phyto-rotifer_W0QQitemZ270249310544QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-ROTIFERS-coral-copepods-fry-food-w-Phyto-rotifer_W0QQitemZ270249310544QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

He is an eBay seller in Lilburn. Raises clowns and allows local pick up of his rotifer products. I have never purchased from him myself...but looks legit.

And he is close to you...kinda

Thanks again for the help everyone.

I would definitely wait to raise the fry at at later date, but I am only in town for one week, so my plan is to take the fry back to my college campus and continue to raise them in the animal facility there, where we have a lot of supplies for breeding. I breed zebra danios multiple times a week there, and I have all the supplies for transport/raising with the exception of the rotifers. This may seem ambitious, but that's usually how I operate--it's worth the effort to me.

Glenn, I will PM Paumat14 and see if he still has cultures going--thanks again!

BASSCYN;194276 wrote: Check with this guy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-ROTIFERS-coral-copepods-fry-food-w-Phyto-rotifer_W0QQitemZ270249310544QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-ROTIFERS-coral-copepods-fry-food-w-Phyto-rotifer_W0QQitemZ270249310544QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

He is an eBay seller in Lilburn. Raises clowns and allows local pick up of his rotifer products. I have never purchased from him myself...but looks legit.

And he is close to you...kinda[/QUOTE] Thanks! He was actually the guy I referenced in a previous post. I emailed him earlier today, but I haven't heard back yet.

I just heard back from the ebay guy, and it sounds like I may use that option for at least getting the cultures started. Thanks again, all -- I will keep you updated.

Hey Kayla! welcome back! anyway, if you try them, would you mind letting me know how those rotifers are? I would greatly appreciate a pm! Thanks!
Ralph

Back