Warning: TLF Magnets!!

dapperjman

Market
Reaction score
I came home this evening and moved my magnetic feeding ring over some and noticed what looked like rotting pellet food around the inside piece. It didn't take long to realize that the orange/red cloud was actually rust.

My wife literally gave me this thing at Christmas and it has already come unsealed and rusted. Please go check any magnets you may have on a TLF product! I figured the magnet would at least be sealed, but there is nothing more than a sticker covering the magnet. This is ridiculous!!

e96ddb0a9e29378100be330236b28177.jpg
alt="" />

e27cb80127005348f7d017324551cc3a.jpg
alt="" />

30733607503e8f0e7eb28a807a894de0.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was wondering, how bad is rust in a reef tank anyway? What harm does it do? Isn't GFO basically rust? Please pardon my ignorance if it's a dumb question... I really don't know.

Bummer. Many of the tlf magnets in the past have had the same problem.

dasianguy;1107250 wrote: I was wondering, how bad is rust in a reef tank anyway? What harm does it do? Isn't GFO basically rust? Please pardon my ignorance if it's a dumb question... I really don't know.
I'd really like to know too. Luckily i have about 150 gallons total volume, but i put some copper in and I have enough water to do a 10% change.

dasianguy;1107250 wrote: I was wondering, how bad is rust in a reef tank anyway? What harm does it do? Isn't GFO basically rust? Please pardon my ignorance if it's a dumb question... I really don't know.

Great question and I'm going to do my best to explain it. you are correct GFO is iron oxide and rust can be too. However, GFO is only iron oxide while the metal rusting in your tank is a mix of different molecules. As the metal rusts it release the different molecules it is composed of. These molecules can be very reactive to living tissue. For example, copper can bind to the receptors in the gills of a fish and this can reduce how much oxygen the fish can get into its bloodstream.

Also, I not positive but I remember there was someone who was going to test if GFO can reduce concentrations of metals in water.

These aren't the only magnets with issues. All of the magnets on my Eshopps Frag rack expanded and popped the epoxy covering. You need to examine magnets quite frequently when they are in saltwater.

porpoiseaquatics;1107275 wrote: These aren't the only magnets with issues. All of the magnets on my Eshopps Frag rack expanded and popped the epoxy covering. You need to examine magnets quite frequently when they are in saltwater.

These magnets too.

And the ivs portal inside piece as well

Dapperjman;1107254 wrote: I'd really like to know too. Luckily i have about 150 gallons total volume, but i put some copper in and I have enough water to do a 10% change.

Let me clarify and say I put some CARBON in last night, haha. I was moving pretty fast, so I didn't proofread. Everything seemed to be OK last night, so hopefully no long term issues.

Back