Watch those Watts fittings

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
Many of us rely on those Watts fittings (push and pull connectors). Fortunately, I never make water or leave my RODI unit running unless I am home. Evidently, unless the inserted tubing has a perfectly smooth end, they fitting may leak. I experienced this at least 3 times with several different tube-ends and fittings. It may never happen to you; then again it may. So be careful.

ive found that unless cut with a new sharp razor blade this can happen. scissors may not leave a good enough edge.

Got a tubing cutter with a recent purchase from Airwaterice, $2 and worth it, perfectly flat, smooth cuts.

I've not had a problem with the tubing itself but there are two o-rings inside the fittings and I have had one of them come out of its groove and caused a leak. it was really frustrating since I cut the tubing several times trying to make sure the end was perfect and it still leaked. Finally I looked inside the fitting and saw the problem with the o-ring.

Don't have any tubing bends near the push fittings either. This applies lateral pressure on the tubing/fitting connection, causing the tubing to push to one side of the o-ring in the fitting, distorting the connection and then leaking results.

Back